Copper SFP ports won't talk to each other, will talk to other ports on switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-07 01:34:54 - last edited 2022-12-07 01:36:07
Model: TL-SG3452P  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I've got a TL-SG3452P and a TL-SG2210MP to run a CCTV system. I need all the built-in PoE ports for cameras so I installed gigabit copper adapters in the SFP ports to interconnect the switches (cat6 is run between the locations) and connect to the DVR.

The SPF ports won't connect when plugged into each other, or to my bench LAN. Tried a straight-through and crossover cable. They do link up though when I go from an SFP to a PoE port on the other TP-Link switch. Am I missing something here?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Copper SFP ports won't talk to each other, will talk to other ports on switches
2022-12-07 11:41:58

@JonSisk 

What is the SFP module you are using on both side switches? Are thay both 1G speed module?

Options
Re:Copper SFP ports won't talk to each other, will talk to other ports on switches
2022-12-07 15:54:12 - last edited 2022-12-07 15:55:01

@Somnus Thanks for your reply - they're 1Gb, just generic brand off Amazon. When I connect SFP to a PoE port on the other switch they do link up at 1Gb. Interestingly, if I plug a computer directly into one of the SFP ports, it shows a link at 100FD but I can't communicate with the switch. If I force it to 1000FD in windows, the link lights go out. SFP->SFP doesn't show any link lights.

Does this sound like something wrong with the transceivers? Noticed that all the SFP ports in the switch port config say "fiber" and if you try to set them to something like 100-half duplex it says. "The speed or duplex is illegal in the fiber mode." Is there some way to change those ports from "fiber" mode to "copper" mode?

Options
2022-12-09 03:42:13 - last edited 2022-12-09 04:04:41

@JonSisk 

"Fiber" means the SFP port on the tp-link switch. And on tp-link switch, the SFP port speed can only be static 100M/1000M/10G

If SFP-SFP connection is not working, it's better to check the SFP module SPEC and if they have the same wave length, fiber mode etc.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 417

Replies: 3

Related Articles