Can the PoE injector be used as repeater LAN i.e power should not be transferred

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can the PoE injector be used as repeater LAN i.e power should not be transferred

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-08 06:27:24 - last edited 2022-12-09 00:53:06
Model: TL-POE150S  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I want to know whether this model can be used as repeater. I only need to transfer data across LAN , no power is required. My overall LAN cable is more than 100 m. so to reduce signal loss I am planning to use this model as a repeater. WIFi is not permissible as per the policy. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can the PoE injector be used as repeater LAN i.e power should not be transferred
2022-12-09 05:46:59

@akbarziyad 

I don't think it will work. Under my experience the LAN port of the PoE injector is not good, only work with short Ethernet cables.

Options
Re:Can the PoE injector be used as repeater LAN i.e power should not be transferred
2022-12-26 21:02:44

@akbarziyad  No.  It is an "injector".   Or more specifically, a "mid-point injector".  Ethernet data will simply pass thru in a passive way.  What you are looking for is a "switch" with a PoE capability.  Some are available (from other vendors) that are also PoE powered, and can pass through some power for the next hop.  I have one with 5 ports.  One port acts as PD, and two of the 4 output switch ports act as PSE to a maximum of 18W I recall.  The key way to remember this functionality, is that the injector is passive to data, while a switch or router actively stores the data, and forwards it on, thus recreating it to make it through the next 100m.  

There are also switches that will function beyond 100m, and are meant for the video surveillance crowd.  However these are usually 10/100 Mbps, not 1000 Mbps.  Or go fiber.  

Good luck!

RF Dude

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 303

Replies: 2