New network build switch Advice

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-18 12:49:25
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

I am building a new network and need some advice on switches for my use case.  

I will use PFsense as the Router and Firewall and looking at the network layers that fall underneath this (Switches and Access Points).

I am planning 5 Vlans (Work, IOT, Cameras, Guest, Kids)

There will be 5 wired cameras, 6 wired Access Points and 6 additional wired connections.  Additionally there is a NAS / Server to connect to the main switch in the cabinet so I am looking at just under 20 ports that are needed given the NAS need 1 port each dedicated to both IOT, Camera and Work Vlans.

Questions:

1.  Can a  TP-Link (TL-SG1428PE) Easy Switch work in this situation for Vlan management together POE for the Cameras and APs and QOS for Teams calls or would you recommend a managed switch?

2.  Would you recommend 1 switch or a couple smaller once's for this setup (separate switches for Cameras, Access Points and then Wired drops)?  This might make upgrading to 2.5gb W-Fi easier once the 2.5gb Access points get a bit smaller and fit better into my home environment?

Thank you for the advice.

Options
1 Reply
Re:New network build switch Advice
2022-12-19 20:46:28

@Xraptorx  SG1428PE should be sufficient for your setup. You only need the VLAN capability of the switch. PFsense can do the routing. Your description sounds like a home environment. So, if it is not mission critical and you don't need high availability, you can save some money and energy by having only one switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 264

Replies: 1