TL-SG108E with VLANS, but switch is on wrong IP range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-31 23:32:55 - last edited 2023-01-02 07:20:54
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20220930 Rel.35985

Hi All,

I've configured the TL-SG108E I recently purchased with 4 VLANs and all appears to be working well.  I have a VLAN for Home, IoT, Guest and Work.  All are up and running.  I just discovered my switch has ended up on a 192.168 IP range of it's own.  I can access it with the Easy Smart Configuration Tool, but not by the origianl assigned IP which was on the 10.0 Network.

I have Work broken out into it's own VLAN 80 on ports 3 & 4, and Home on VLAN 10 on ports 5 - 8.  Guest and IoT are Wifi only, so no port assignments.  I want the Switch to be on VLAN 10 (Home).  Here's the PVID assignments:

Port 1 is the Trunk and port 2 goes to my Unifi AP which hosts SSIDs for all VLANs.  I'm assuming what has gone wrong is I haven't added port1 to 10 and it's ending up confused, thereby gettting it's own IP somewhere?

The default Unifi address is a 192.168 IP as well, but it has been assigned to VLAN10 manually.

What's the best way to define the switch as being on VLAN 10, thus getting it's assigned IP from that DHCP scope?

Thanks in advance!

Options
7 Reply
Re:TL-SG108E with VLANS, but switch is on wrong IP range
2023-01-01 15:00:57 - last edited 2023-01-02 07:20:29

Update - I have since added VLAN 10 PID to ports 1 & 2 and the switch still gets the default 192.168.0.1 address.  I've manually assigned it to my VLAN 10 IP and can access it, but my question still remains.  Why does not receive it's IP from my router where a reservation has been created for the switch.  MAC address is correct and the router sees the switch as online, but no DHCP auto assignments.  

As it sits, the current configuration works, but I generally create reservations and leave DHCP to auto on my hardware.  Just can't figure out why the switch isn't getting its IP like other hardware devices are.  

Options
2023-01-02 14:08:06

@TP_Shortage 

Try, Port 1 UNTAGGED in VLAN10 (Home), PVID=10, TAGGED in the other VLANs. The port on the router on the other side of the cable should be configured the same way.

However, it is a good practice to give your managed switch a static IP address. Same for APs and other devices you may need to access even if your DHCP server is not available. Also, your VLAN access ports should be in only one VLAN, unless you use some other VLAN assignment methods.

Kris K
Options
2023-01-03 16:18:59

KJK wrote

@TP_Shortage 

Try, Port 1 UNTAGGED in VLAN10 (Home), PVID=10, TAGGED in the other VLANs. The port on the router on the other side of the cable should be configured the same way.

However, it is a good practice to give your managed switch a static IP address. Same for APs and other devices you may need to access even if your DHCP server is not available. Also, your VLAN access ports should be in only one VLAN, unless you use some other VLAN assignment methods.

Thanks @KJK ,

I have assigned the switch a static IP.  Will do on all infrastructure shortly as well.  Port 1 is the trunk and hosts 4 VLANs.  Port 2 is the connection to WiFi AP which hosts the SSIDs associated with the VLANs.  Will moving port 1 to untagged not effectively break the VLANs if their associated IDs are deleted/excluded?

Currenty, two of the 4 VLANs have been associated with other ports, 3 & 4 for work and 5 - 8 for home.  The Guest and IoT VLANs have no wired connections.  Only ports 1 $ 2 have all associated VLANs which are used to host the connections.  Is this not correct?

Options
2023-01-03 17:05:17

@TP_Shortage 

“Will moving port 1 to untagged not effectively break the VLANs

No, it will not if you just make that port UNTAGGED in only one VLAN. It is a common practice and sometimes even necessary to have such a port UNTAGGED in the default/management VLAN. In this particular case, I have made that suggestion only because it could resolve your DHCP issue.

“break the VLANs if their associated IDs are deleted/excluded?

Of course, it will, but I did not recommend to delete or exclude that port from any VLAN. My recommendation was to have that port UNTAGGED in the VLAN mentioned above and TAGGED in all remaining ones. So, Port 1 would stay assigned to all VLANs, not just one.

“Currenty, two of the 4 VLANs have been associated with other ports, 3 & 4 for work and 5 - 8 for home.  The Guest and IoT VLANs have no wired connections.  Only ports 1 $ 2 have all associated VLANs which are used to host the connections.  Is this not correct?

No, that is correct. After double checking, I see that you have each Port 3 - 8 assigned to only one VLAN. I had misread your configuration and made unnecessary comment. No need to changed anything there.

Kris K
Options
2023-01-03 22:08:45

Hi Kris,

I untagged port 1 and my Home VLAN died.  No connectivity via the switch ports to the internet or the switch.  Used the config tool to attach from the guest WiFi.  Tagged the port again and everything is working.

Not sure why this is, if an untagged trunk is the best practice.  Not exactly sure why the over VLANs continued to work either.  I was accessing both via the same AP, but different SSIDs all connected to port 2, then port 1 to the router and inside/outside.

Options
2023-01-03 22:26:15 - last edited 2023-01-03 23:10:20

@TP_Shortage 

If you make changes to a trunk link, those changes need do be done on both sides of the link. Both sides of a trunk link need to match. If not, issues are highly possible. And, remember about the PVID. If Port 1 gets UNTAGGED in the Home VLAN, its PVID needs to be changed to VID of the Home VLAN.

Kris K
Options
2023-01-03 23:59:00

@KJK I'm using Firewalla Gold for my router/firewall.  They don't have a setting for tagged/untagged on their ports.  All ports are effectively tagged, so it appears I'll have to leave the trunk port as tagged.

Thanks for your help, I'm good to go with the fixed IP and all is working!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1091

Replies: 7

Related Articles