N300 cant use router in AP mode as a network source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-27 22:04:15 - last edited 2023-03-28 00:49:54
Model: CPE210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3 Build 20201110 Rel. 66916 (5553)

We added a shed behind the house.  I bought a tp-link N300 2.4ghz CPE 210 antenna and installed it in the shed pointed back to the house. 

(there is no companion N300 at the house. I am connecting to my wifi router)

I set the unit up in bridged mode and it worked.  The speed wasnt great because the wifi wasnt the strongest from the router. 

Across the house, I have a second router running in AP mode (Netgear Nighthawk).   The wifi from that AP is stronger so I reconfigured the N300 to join that network.  

It could get to the AP, and login.. but no devices connecting to the WIFI of the N300 would get an IP from DNS.   

I spent hours checking / double checking and changing things trying to figure out how to connect to the stronger AP signal for the relay. 

I tested everything..  changing security methods, even turning security off.    But it just wouldnt work..   Devices would connect tp the N300 wireless.. but timeout waiting on an IP from DNS.  

If I changed back to connect to the original router, it would work.   

I connected to the blackhawk router to see if there is some kind of adjustment I could make.. 

I decided to turn on the guest wifi network.. ( I have never used the guest wifi networks anywhere in my house)..  

Shockingly.. the N300 is able to connect to the guest network and serve connected devices..    Why would this be?  Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I am so puzzled why the standard broadcast wifi signal wouldn't work..  and even more confused as to why it would work with the guest network.    Crazy..  

I guess I can leave the guest network running.. its not hurting anything...  I enabled security on it. Its working beaurifully. 

If anyone has any information on what could be the issue I would be very grateful.  

Here is some info on the device status page:

Device Information

Device Name: CPE210

Device Model: CPE210 v2.0

Firmware Version: 2.2.3 Build 20201110 Rel. 66916 (5553)

CPU: 2%

Memory: 65%

Wireless Settings

MAXtream: N/A

Channel/Frequency: 10 / 2457MHz

Channel Width: 20/40MHz

IEEE802.11 Mode: B/G/N Mixed

Max TX Rate: 300.0Mbps

Transmit Power: 27dBm

Distance: 0km

Radio Status

AP: Enable

SSID: TP-Link_Outdoor_D220F4

Security Mode: WPA-PSK

Connected Stations: 4

Client: Enable

Security Mode: WPA-PSK

WDS: Auto

Root AP SSID: NETGEAR2

TX Rate: 144.4Mbps

RX Rate: 130.0Mbps

Wireless Signal Quality

Signal Strength (Horizontal/Vertical): -64/-65 dBm

Noise Strength: -106dBm

SNR: 45dB

Transmit CCQ: 100

LAN

IP Address: 192.168.0.180

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Port0: 10Mbps - FD

IPv6 IP Address/Prefix: N/A

WAN

Connection Type: N/A

MAC Address: N/A

IP Address: N/A

Subnet Mask: N/A

Default Gateway: N/A

DNS Server: N/A

IPv6 IP Address/Prefix: N/A

IPv6 Gateway: N/A

IPv6 DNS: N/A

Options
4 Reply
Re:N300 cant use router in AP mode as a network source
2023-03-28 10:25:39

@mscroggi 

Have you tried changing the channel and channel width on the AP for testing?

If you set an un-encryption wifi on the AP, can the CPE connect to it?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-03-28 22:13:07

@mscroggi 

The N300 connects to the AP just fine.   One thing though - N300 has a static IP assigned so it doesnt use DNS services itself.   I wonder if that would fail if I removed the static IP. 

When devices connect to the N300, the DHCP requests timeout and no IP gets assigned.   

I havent done anything with the channel selection on the AP.. It is set for auto selection.. I assume the channel width is what is reflected in the mode option menu with selections of 54, 289 or 600 MBPS.   Currently it is set to auto select a channel and the speed is 'up to 600MBPS'   I assume that is B,G,N band selection?  

Do you think the channel selection could play a part in this behavior?   Somehow the guest networks are treated differently from the standard wireless networks in the AP..   It has the same settings as the regular wireless networks.. but the values are ghosted and cant be changed.   

I guess I never really understood the design around a guest network..  I figured it was a separate SID that can be turned on or off for quick accesses, making it easy to allow access without giving out the standard password etc.. 

When I started over on the N300 and left defaults in place, I left the zero values in place:

Connection Type: Static

IP Address: 192.168.0.180

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP: 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

I tried putting in my router IP for the gateway, setting DNS server IPs and enabling the dhcp server.. but it still didnt work.   

Options
2023-03-29 03:33:41

@mscroggi 

If your CPE is the static IP, then the clients behind it should obtain the IP address from your router which is the DHCP server.

You can also change the CPE IP to dynamic to test if the CPE can get a valid IP from the DHCP Server, and confirm if there are two DHCP servers in your network, no IP conflict in your network.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-03-31 17:59:11

@Virgo 

I did some testing..  I removed the static IP for the CPE

It booted up fine.. and got a new IP from the router.  

But just like before.. unless it connects to the AP guest network, no devices connecting to the CPE will get an IP from DNS.   

Maybe this is a bug with the AP (Blackhawk router in AP mode)?   What I am trying to do seems so common..  I don't see anything wrong with my config..  

So strange.   

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 288

Replies: 4