CPE710 to Starlink WiFi

CPE710 to Starlink WiFi

CPE710 to Starlink WiFi
CPE710 to Starlink WiFi
2023-07-13 14:48:28
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I tried using this device on a Gen 2 starlink. A bit of a story here. I configured the TP-Link CPE710 in client mode. I scanned for the starlink network and could not find it. Then put starlink in bypass mode and installed an old Asus router on Ethernet adaptor for wifi. CPE710 saw this and connected fine. I then reverted the starlink back to normal mode as the Asus wifi coverage and speed not as good as starlink. When I reverted back - low and behold CPE710 did see the starlink network and connect fine, ran very well. Then 4 days later stopped and could not see starlink again. Went through factory reset on starlink a several times and CPE710 could not see starlink again. In the end placed a TL-Link RE450 in the remote location in usual booster mode and it worked better than my Asus - CPE710 set up.

Would like to use the CPE710 as it gave great throughput when it worked.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options
6 Reply
Re:CPE710 to Starlink WiFi
2023-07-13 23:57:28

@John333 

you have to create a wifi bridge use 2 cpe710 one configured as accesspoint the other as client, with only one cpe710 in client mode it cannot work.
Options
2023-07-15 10:51:16 - last edited 2023-07-15 11:47:19

@John333  Firstly disregard the statement that two CPE710 are required, this is common misconception. While two CPE710 will be needed for longer range deployments, it is not necessary for shorter range deployment where the source signal is strong. What you are attempting to do is very feasible and can work quite well. It is likely due to improper channel setup.

It will vary by region but both of my CPE710 are limited to channel 149-161. If your source (Starlink) is set to AUTO, and selects a channel outside that range, the CPE710 would not even see it in the survey. If possible, manually set the channel on the source (Starllink) to something in the 149-161 range. I would just go ahead and choose 161. Even if you connect successfully with the source set to AUTO, the channel may change later and you will lose connection on the CPE710, which is likely what happened to you.

This is one of my CPE710s that is linked as described to a EAP610 Outdoor AP. I recommend not putting everything to full power as it is not needed and may increase interference. You should be able to easily get the full bandwidth provided by your Starlink connection.

1b34481babfb4d2b90592eb05f6f1e72

CPE710 to EAP610 OD

Options
2023-07-15 13:21:29

@RickJamesBish 

Thanks Rick. I think you are right about the issue. I suspected this but saw in the cpe710 spec that it claims to have full 5G frequency range but is limited depending on where you are in the world.  So in Canada I am limited. 

Unfortunately the starlink router is VERY locked down and setting a channel is not allowed. Sigh. I was trying to avoid putting in my own router for cost and simplicity. I did test putting starlink in bypass with an old Asus router and found it worked but did not have the speed/reach of the starlink router. Also the Asus did not not support Sip nat traversal so my voip stopped. So that's another technical requirement on putting it on bypass.

In the mean time I put a RE450 booster in the remote building and it seems stable but has lower coverage and speed than when I used it as an AP with the CPE710 as the client.

I'll probably try adding a switch to the starlink ethernet so I can support both the voip ATA and the old Asus router and see if this will work better.  I can set the Asus channel then reboot the starlink and hope it selects a channel far from the Asus router as it will be quite close physically...  

If anyone has other ideas I am open.

John

Options
2023-07-17 10:11:05

@John333 I know you wanted to avoid it, but seems like the ideal solution would be the Starlink in pass-through to a more robust router that supports the SIP for the VOIP. I am very unfamiliar with that so not even sure a router exists that does.

Options
2023-12-03 14:55:59

@John333 I am in a similar position to you. I live in a granny flat some distance from the main house, but share their starlink internet.

I have a CPE710 and most the time it works great. But then just stops. Scanning shows nothing at all.

I then plug in a CPE220 which is configured to connect up via the 2.4ghz ssid. Once I am connected again I am able to reboot the starlink.

Some times it takes a few reboots before it settles on a channel that the CPE710 can see.

Its a bit of a pain, but I am not sure how I am going to get around it yet. I don't have easy access to the main house :) A shame that the CPE710 doesn't cover all the channels. I wonder if it is a software limitation only? Maybe flashing it with something else might solve the issue. Maybe openwrt? Though that wont help if it is a hardware limitation.

Options
2023-12-03 15:06:21

Just to finish this out. Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels there are a number of internal 5Ghz channels. Obviously the CPE710 isn't going to allow you to use those - maybe unlocked firmware might? - and the starlink is going to occasionally auto-select those as they are probably pretty clear inside the house :/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 514

Replies: 6

Related Articles