TL-SG1024DE & Modbus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-SG1024DE & Modbus

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-SG1024DE & Modbus
TL-SG1024DE & Modbus
2023-07-25 23:04:30 - last edited 2023-07-31 23:26:27

Hi,

New to using a managed switch for industrial ethernet and looking for a more cost-effective option than the traditional industrial ethernet hardware providers.

Can the TL-SG1024DE support Modbus TCP protocol?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG1024DE & Modbus-Solution
2023-07-31 23:17:58 - last edited 2023-07-31 23:26:27

@MDEV 

The sort answer is yes since Modbus TCP/IP is the the standard Modbus protocol over a TC/IP network on Port 502.  The long answer is typically the industrial Etehrnet Switvches will have a higher temperatre rating and will typically have the certifications required for an industrilal enviroment. If you are connecting to and existing network and compatability is reuired wiht the various "redundancy" protocols you need to make sure that all Ethernet Switches support them.

There are however places where a industrially hardened switch is required to maintain the operational performance of the netwrok. As an example the Modicon ERIO "Ethernet Remote I/O" network requires a Managed Switch that aupports Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP/IP, Dual Ethernet Rings, RSTP Protocol and in the future PRP. The ERIO netwrok configuration only allows approved devcies to be connected in the ring to insure a 50ms recovery.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-SG1024DE & Modbus
2023-07-28 17:32:00

@MDEV 

I have used "regular" network switches with TCP ModBus devices... but we kept that network isolated from the "regular" production network.  I've seen this is the best practice.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:TL-SG1024DE & Modbus-Solution
2023-07-31 23:17:58 - last edited 2023-07-31 23:26:27

@MDEV 

The sort answer is yes since Modbus TCP/IP is the the standard Modbus protocol over a TC/IP network on Port 502.  The long answer is typically the industrial Etehrnet Switvches will have a higher temperatre rating and will typically have the certifications required for an industrilal enviroment. If you are connecting to and existing network and compatability is reuired wiht the various "redundancy" protocols you need to make sure that all Ethernet Switches support them.

There are however places where a industrially hardened switch is required to maintain the operational performance of the netwrok. As an example the Modicon ERIO "Ethernet Remote I/O" network requires a Managed Switch that aupports Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP/IP, Dual Ethernet Rings, RSTP Protocol and in the future PRP. The ERIO netwrok configuration only allows approved devcies to be connected in the ring to insure a 50ms recovery.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-31 23:23:06

@KimcheeGUN Thanks for your response!

Options
2023-07-31 23:25:38

@PLCMAN58 Thanks for your response & explaining reasons for the industrial switches.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 370

Replies: 4

Related Articles