Double Ping Responses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Double Ping Responses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Double Ping Responses
Double Ping Responses
2023-09-29 19:59:24 - last edited 2023-10-07 05:44:42
Model: TL-SG1024DE  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20210512 Rel.40781

I have a problem with my TL-SG1024DE switch where any device connected to port 11 and pinged from a device on another port results in a return plus a duplicate ping, “(DUP!)”.  This was tested with several devices the have a normal one response per ping when connected to either port 9 or 13.  I also noted after looking at some of the traffic on port 11 that ARP replies are also duplicated.

Is this something that is the result of a configuration error, or a fault of the port?   I have tried the usual things like rebooting and powering off and on, but they did not help.   There also does not appear to be any firmware upgrade to try for this switch, but I may have missed it.  Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Double Ping Responses-Solution
2023-10-07 05:04:00 - last edited 2023-10-07 05:44:42

@Dahliana 

I am a wee bit embarrassed at the moment.  While I was working on your request, I first did some some print screens of the good port and the bad port  to show the duplicated ping responses.   I then logged into the switch to make sure the port was being mirrored to monitored the ARP traffic.  It then occurred to me that when I noted the problem I was working on another problem that involved mirroring on that port.  On a hunch, I disabled the mirroring and the duplicate pings disappeared.   I have never run into this before, but apparently, at least with this switch, you cannot ping through both the mirroring and mirrored ports.  I confirmed this by setting up the same configuration on another port and noted duplicating there as well.  I have included the print screen of the duplicate pings only for the record.  Thanks making me take a second look.

File:
Duplicate Pings.jpgDownload
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Double Ping Responses
2023-10-07 03:01:52

@HP41 What about posting the trace while pinging port 11 and other ports so we can find the differences and help you troubleshoot it? 

Options
Re:Double Ping Responses-Solution
2023-10-07 05:04:00 - last edited 2023-10-07 05:44:42

@Dahliana 

I am a wee bit embarrassed at the moment.  While I was working on your request, I first did some some print screens of the good port and the bad port  to show the duplicated ping responses.   I then logged into the switch to make sure the port was being mirrored to monitored the ARP traffic.  It then occurred to me that when I noted the problem I was working on another problem that involved mirroring on that port.  On a hunch, I disabled the mirroring and the duplicate pings disappeared.   I have never run into this before, but apparently, at least with this switch, you cannot ping through both the mirroring and mirrored ports.  I confirmed this by setting up the same configuration on another port and noted duplicating there as well.  I have included the print screen of the duplicate pings only for the record.  Thanks making me take a second look.

File:
Duplicate Pings.jpgDownload
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 256

Replies: 2

Related Articles