CPE510 Survey issue on repeater mode

2023-11-14 23:47:03 - last edited 2023-11-23 11:11:51
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of issue i'm having with my CPE510.

Weeks ago i've installed this device in repeater mode in order to extend my wireless connection to my garage which is like 10/15 meters from my house (counting also the distance from the router itself).To avoid putting wires and making holes through the walls, i tried to put this device in the same house and pointing it to another tp-link extender located at my garage and I was able to have internet connection with a decent speed.

Though i had some issues in the following days, like internet connection lost because of the main router and CPE510 was not able to restart after router re-establish the connection, i was always able,after a reboot, to regain connection and continue surfing internet.

This until 3 days ago, when the CPE510 stopped suddenly "seeing" my AP .

Clickin on the survey button, it doesn't show my AP, even after rebooting both CPE510 and AP itself.

While my smartphone show me a list of 5/6 aps, the CPE only show a couple and sometimes also nothing at all.

I tried resetting to default settings but it didnt't help.

Then I tried to switch on AP mode to see if I was able to make at least a WiFi connection and it worked, so I switched again on repeater mode and at first was not working but after 15 minutes circa, the device started to work again!

It worked properly and fine until today, when the same issue popped up again. It does not see my AP, rebooting is useless.

I did not try again changing mode because I want to find a final solution.

Any suggestions?Am I doing something wrong using the CPE510 as a repeater maybe?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:CPE510 Survey issue on repeater mode-Solution
2023-11-15 08:10:13 - last edited 2023-11-23 11:11:51

@alerix 

CPE is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited 45 degree angle, we can say that there is almost no signal on its side and back panel. It doesn't suggested to use CPE as repeater mode.
You can refer this link to see cpe wifi angle.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:CPE510 Survey issue on repeater mode-Solution
2023-11-15 08:10:13 - last edited 2023-11-23 11:11:51

@alerix 

CPE is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited 45 degree angle, we can say that there is almost no signal on its side and back panel. It doesn't suggested to use CPE as repeater mode.
You can refer this link to see cpe wifi angle.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:CPE510 Survey issue on repeater mode
2023-11-15 08:42:40 - last edited 2023-11-15 08:44:37

Kind of confused here.

Understood that CPE has directional antenna (actually, i thought the same while checking the first issues), then why putting modes like "repeater" and "bridge" if it is not supposed to work like that?

Also it worked very well for 72 hours straight, not even a single moment of instability, so why at beginning it worked and then suddenly not? Both CPE and AP didnt' move an inch =D

Anyway, if you say that this CPE is not suggested to work in this way, i will first try using it in AP mode (though with the position of my main AP does not help for this configuration). If this won't work, can you suggest other devices to help me extend my wifi?

Thanks

Options
2023-11-16 01:59:54

@alerix 

EAP outdoor devices with 150m wifi coverage radius which can be perfectly adapted to your application scenarios.

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/omada-wifi-outdoor/

Options
2023-11-16 10:57:19

@Virgo 

Will take a look at those.

For now I configured CPE in AP mode, losing a little of signal strength (like 11/12%), but is working fine so far.

Hoping that this will not fail also in the next days :)

Thanks for your help.

Options
2023-11-17 02:10:37

@alerix 

Great! Looking forward to your updates.

Options
2023-11-26 15:01:27

Hey, it sounds like a frustrating situation with your CPE510. Have you checked for any firmware updates for the device? Sometimes that can resolve compatibility issues. Additionally, ensuring that the repeater is within a suitable range and not facing  Garage interference could help. If the problem persists, reaching out to TP-Link support or community forums might provide more specific solutions. Good luck in finding a resolution!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 372

Replies: 6

Related Articles