CPE710 as a bridge BEFORE router

2023-11-20 08:21:17 - last edited 2023-11-23 11:11:14
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version:

I have (what I hope is) a simple question. I'm mounting a Starlink dish away from my house. The SL router and power supply will be close to the dish, and the router will be in bypass / bridge mode with an ethernet adapter. Can I use two CPE710s in lieu of an ethernet run to my house? The CPE710 on the house will be connected to the router (i.e., as if I were running an ethernet cable from the SL router in bypass / bridge mode to the router. Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:CPE710 as a bridge BEFORE router-Solution
2023-11-21 07:26:02 - last edited 2023-11-23 11:11:14

Hello @bongobob,

For long-distance communication, we will recommend you to set a point-to-point connection.
Which means you will need two of CPEs plus one AP or wireless router and a clear line of sight.

The connection should be like Router----AP CPE)))(((Client CPE----Another AP.

One CPE should connect to the router in the main house to extend wireless signal to the other building, while the other CPE should be installed in the other building to receive the signal from the 1st CPE.
As the 2nd CPE will work under client mode which means to transfer wireless signal to wired signal, so it will not broadcast wireless signal.
If you need wireless signal in the other building, you need to connect another AP or wireless router after the 2nd CPE to broadcast Wi-Fi.

Here is the link you can check the products.

For more details about this application, you can refer to the link.

We have some articles and instructions that might be helpful:
Long-distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point
How can I set up the AP + Client topology successfully

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:CPE710 as a bridge BEFORE router-Solution
2023-11-21 07:26:02 - last edited 2023-11-23 11:11:14

Hello @bongobob,

For long-distance communication, we will recommend you to set a point-to-point connection.
Which means you will need two of CPEs plus one AP or wireless router and a clear line of sight.

The connection should be like Router----AP CPE)))(((Client CPE----Another AP.

One CPE should connect to the router in the main house to extend wireless signal to the other building, while the other CPE should be installed in the other building to receive the signal from the 1st CPE.
As the 2nd CPE will work under client mode which means to transfer wireless signal to wired signal, so it will not broadcast wireless signal.
If you need wireless signal in the other building, you need to connect another AP or wireless router after the 2nd CPE to broadcast Wi-Fi.

Here is the link you can check the products.

For more details about this application, you can refer to the link.

We have some articles and instructions that might be helpful:
Long-distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point
How can I set up the AP + Client topology successfully

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:CPE710 as a bridge BEFORE router
2023-12-03 05:22:49

@bongobob What you're suggesting should work just fine.  I have personally done something similar where I have a 710 bridge set up between the cable modem and the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 232

Replies: 2

Related Articles