Advice please - extending BT full fibre wi-fi to garden building

2024-03-26 09:58:03 - last edited 2024-03-28 03:53:29
Model: CPE510  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, I am a novice on these topics so really need some help and advice please. I have full fibre BT with 3 standard BT w-fi discs. Signal inside the house is fine but I need to extend it to my garden office. Previously I had a lan cable but this is not practical anymore due to a number of reasons. Would the CPE510 be a suitable solution? If yes, do I just need a pair and it connects to my hub or do I need additional hardware?

If this is not the best solution I am open to alternative ideas. I don't want to go overboard on cost as its inly really an issue 2-3 days a week. 

Thanks in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Advice please - extending BT full fibre wi-fi to garden building-Solution
2024-03-28 03:53:15 - last edited 2024-03-28 03:53:29

Hi@Joe1975 

When deploying the CPE products, each pair of CPE should be used in pairs. Each pair of CPE can be considered as the invisible Ethernet connection. And you will also need to connect an access point/WiFi router to the last client CPE since there is only a single Ethernet connection on it.

You may also consider the EAP-Outdoor and EAP indoor to build the mesh. At this scenario, there will be at least 1 EAP-Outdoor to extend the signal to outdoor. The first EAP should be wired to connect to the router via the adapter/switch. And another EAP-Outdoor or indoor EAP will be used to wireless connect to the root EAP. Please note that the controller (such as free software controller) will be required to build the mesh.

If you would rather, please consider approaching the local technical support to get detail recommendation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Advice please - extending BT full fibre wi-fi to garden building
2024-03-27 08:59:32

Joe1975 wrote

Hi all, I am a novice on these topics so really need some help and advice please. I have full fibre BT with 3 standard BT w-fi discs. Signal inside the house is fine but I need to extend it to my garden office. Previously I had a lan cable but this is not practical anymore due to a number of reasons. Would the CPE510 be a suitable solution? If yes, do I just need a pair and it connects to my hub or do I need additional hardware?

If this is not the best solution I am open to alternative ideas. I don't want to go overboard on cost as its inly really an issue 2-3 days a week. 

Thanks in advance

Hi@Joe1975 

To expand internet access from home to the place far away, we provide a solution to this scenario by using Pharos series (CPE) products.
Here we provide a full solution including the network topology, product features and parameters, you may refer to: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1226/

Alternatively, the EAP mesh system with indoor and outdoor EAP also can be considered.

You may provide more details about the network environment such as the distance and whether there is obstacle etc, so that we may try to provide further recommendation.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-27 09:13:37

@Hank21 Thanks for replying!

The distance between the router and where I need the access is only about 30 metres.

It is not a direct line of sight, part of my roof gets in the way, it has 1 corner to navigate, maybe a 3rd CPE would help?

My router is in an upstairs room and my garden building is set about 3 metres lower and 30 metres away.

Thanks again

Joe

Options
Re:Advice please - extending BT full fibre wi-fi to garden building-Solution
2024-03-28 03:53:15 - last edited 2024-03-28 03:53:29

Hi@Joe1975 

When deploying the CPE products, each pair of CPE should be used in pairs. Each pair of CPE can be considered as the invisible Ethernet connection. And you will also need to connect an access point/WiFi router to the last client CPE since there is only a single Ethernet connection on it.

You may also consider the EAP-Outdoor and EAP indoor to build the mesh. At this scenario, there will be at least 1 EAP-Outdoor to extend the signal to outdoor. The first EAP should be wired to connect to the router via the adapter/switch. And another EAP-Outdoor or indoor EAP will be used to wireless connect to the root EAP. Please note that the controller (such as free software controller) will be required to build the mesh.

If you would rather, please consider approaching the local technical support to get detail recommendation.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-28 10:45:26

@Hank21 Thank you very much, you've been very helpful.

I think i am going to go for the Indoor- Outdoor solution

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 98

Replies: 4

Related Articles