I need advice or recommendation for long range connectivity

2024-07-14 15:13:01 - last edited 2024-07-15 06:01:50
Tags: #EAP110, Radius Authentication

Greetings, I need your expertise and advice. I am not sure what to buy.

Here is my situation.

I have TP Link EAP110 configured with External Radius auth for bandwidth accounting.

I need to extend this signal to around 800meters. Is this possible?

I need to send a internet connection to this client which is 800-900meters give or take.

As of now, the farthest client that I have is about 600m but I use CF-E130Nv2 and on the client side has a Tenda F3 Router.

What TP link product I can used to have this kind of connection? I prefer having Radius Auth option like EAP110 so client will no longer buy a router

and I can easily monitor their usage.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:I need advice or recommendation for long range connectivity-Solution
2024-07-15 06:01:38 - last edited 2024-07-16 11:32:13

@Exejee 

You can use our CPE units or bridge kits, such as EAP211 bridge kit or EAP215 bridge kit, to transfer the signal to the client location, which is around 800 meters far away. Also, on the client site, you will still need a router because the previously mentioned product can only let you deliver the signal there but cannot broadcast it.

After delivering the signal to the remote site, you can use the EAP110 outdoor device to broadcast the signal and enable External Radius authentication.

How to build a Wireless Network between home and farm using tp-link products

EAP211-Bridge KIT

EAP215-Bridge KIT

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:I need advice or recommendation for long range connectivity-Solution
2024-07-15 06:01:38 - last edited 2024-07-16 11:32:13

@Exejee 

You can use our CPE units or bridge kits, such as EAP211 bridge kit or EAP215 bridge kit, to transfer the signal to the client location, which is around 800 meters far away. Also, on the client site, you will still need a router because the previously mentioned product can only let you deliver the signal there but cannot broadcast it.

After delivering the signal to the remote site, you can use the EAP110 outdoor device to broadcast the signal and enable External Radius authentication.

How to build a Wireless Network between home and farm using tp-link products

EAP211-Bridge KIT

EAP215-Bridge KIT

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:I need advice or recommendation for long range connectivity
2024-07-15 12:23:50

@Hank21 thank you for the recommendation. I have tried looking in for EAP211 but no one sells here in my location. They have lots of EAP110 though. I'm thinking of using fiber optic cables. I'm worried though if the wire snaps or break :-( anyway thank you.

PS: Is the EAP225 an upgrade for EAP110? 

My EAP110 can only serve good connections around 90m or 100m.

I like the EAP110 Radius Config with the accounting features too. 

Does the EAP225 have a radius option similar to 110? The simulators seem outdated. I am a bit hesitant to buy the 225 because it looks different from 110.

Options
2024-07-17 01:27:58 - last edited 2024-07-17 01:28:43

@Exejee 

Are you referring to our outdoor product? The models EAP225 and EAP225 Outdoor, as well as the EAP110 and EAP110 Outdoor, are distinct products.EAP225 Outdoor supports dual-band, but EAP110 Outdoor only supports 5G.Their coverage is not really different. For distances of 800-900 meters, I recommend using CPE units to establish a point-to-point connection for transmitting signals.

How do you configure the external radius server? Do you use the Omada controller to manage the EAP110 outdoors?Or did you set it up through the web interface?Does the external radius help you account for bandwidth?EAP225 outdoor also supports captive portals.

Options
2024-07-17 02:06:44

@Hank21 I ordered another eap110 and CPE210. I have older Tenda F6 and will try to connect to it 210 as WISP and then connect the eap110 to the F6 to broadcast. I like the eap110 outdoor's Radius Authentication although I have problem with the mobile responsiveness of the Portal but they have no choice. I have freeradius and that is where I point the eap110 to authenticate the users. I have also wrote a simple website to let my clients see their usage and bills.

I don't have OC200 and installing Omada to PC to run 24/7 feels like overkill and PC uses lots of power so not economical for me.

I tried the eap225 outdoor simulator and I cannot found that the Radius Accounting feature which is present in the eap110. 

I checked the simulator of eap225 outdoor online and I did not find the "Radius Accounting" box. Did you guys removed it? 

I think I'm fine with eap110 outdoor. Please make a small update to the eap110. Make the login portal of the radius mobile responsive or allow us to modify the portal_login.html.

I tried connecting via ssh in the eap110 and tried to modify the portal_login.html but it is denied due to read only mode. Is there a way to make it writable?

Options
2024-07-17 05:48:24 - last edited 2024-07-17 05:48:38

@Exejee 

EAP225 Outdoor does support radius accounting. You can check it from the Datasheet.

The portal_login.html module cannot currently be modified.

Options
2024-07-17 14:57:55

@abby111 yes you are right. I ordered eap110 cause I did not see the radius accounting in 225 which made me very very very sad. I thought 225 is an upgrade of 110. It is but it is not too. :-) 

It is too sad that I cannot edit the file (portal_login.html) even if I'm logged as admin via ssh. I hope, in the future, they make some considerations in their device to enable the end-users, us, to make custom changes that will benefit us.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 353

Replies: 6

Tags

EAP110, Radius Authentication
Related Articles