No range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

No range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
No range
No range
2013-08-25 07:17:44
Region : Mexico

Model : TL-WA5210G

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP : TELMEX

I'm trying to send signal from one house to another, the other house is 1 km distant. The 5210 is configured as AP and shows 5 bars of strength when I'm at the source but as I move away towards the destination house, the signal drops off to nothing after 500 meters. I have tried various Distance Settings from extreme (short) to extreme (long) but I can never get signal past 500 meters. I've tried using different channels, also to no avail. How sensitive is this device to obstructions like trees?

Can anyone help, or suggest ideal config settings?

Thanks - rev
Options
8 Reply
Re:No range
2013-08-25 22:56:33
How sensitive is this device to obstructions like trees?

1-do you have LOS (linea de vista) on your PTP (punto a punto)
2-Region Mexico, you mean DF or what city are trying this, urban environment its crowded on 2.4Ghz band
1 km distant.

1-are you using one or two 5210s
2-the farthest one 5210 its able to send signal its 778 mts. in urban environment
as you can see, we need info to be able to help you
Options
2013-08-26 01:21:48
Dan:

Thanks!

>1. Do you have LOS (linea de vista) on your PTP (punto a punto)
Not exactly, there are trees and maybe a building somewhere midstream, it's hard to tell. The curious part of this is that the Infinitum modem the 5210 is connected to - is putting out a stronger signal! Why don't I just put that on the roof :)

>2. Region Mexico, you mean DF or what city are trying this, urban enviorment its crowded on 2.4Ghz band 1 km distant.
No, it's a little fishing village at the bottom of Baja California, only two or three other networks are visible.

>3. are you using one or two 5210s
Only one as a 'sender'

>4. The farthest one 5210 its able to send signal its 778 mts. in urban envirorment
It's not what we'd normally call an urban environment (small houses, one storey only, not very densely populated) but the destination house is at least twice that far.

What's the best solution from here, should I dump the equipment or buy another 5210 as a receiver? What if I can't get line of sight, what else can be done?

Thanks - rev
Options
2013-08-26 01:35:52
one simple answer is
C/P from another forum
Clear Line of Sight and Freznel Zone isn’t everything; It’s the only thing.
Adapted quote from Vince Lombardi

Why don't I just put that on the roof

5210 is and outdoor radio
the destination house is at least twice that far.

so for one 5210 this is a no go, only testing will tell in your environment,
Options
2013-08-26 01:43:08
Thanks - that would explain a few things :)

Can you recommend what I can get to make sure of this?

The guy in the store must have been confused (as I was) by the Distance Setting in the config page which suggests the 5210 can reach 12 km but presumably that drop down is there to cover all other models...

If I have a sender AND a receiver, presumably their circles of operation must overlap before I can get results? (I'd hate to buy another 5210 only to find they can't reach each other!)
Options
2013-08-26 01:48:53
The guy in the store must have been confused

no his was not, this is a PTP radio, there is a 10km. ptp in Mexico in a rural area with two 5210
but as you posted
Not exactly, there are trees and maybe a building somewhere midstream, it's hard to tell.

no LOS no link, as simple as that
Options
2013-08-26 01:51:58
Understood about LOS but you lost me over the distance. If it can only send 778 meters, how is it possible to get 10km, even with two?

What should I buy?
Options
2013-08-26 02:22:53
first destination of this radios are PTPs so that means 2 radios, the farthest i get with one is 778mts so you will never cover your distance
on the other hand you posted NLOS as long as you do not have LOS forget it. you have to solve the NLOS first, raising the radio on both ends, with like a tower etc. you need lots of reading to do
What should I buy?

at this moment nothing, solve the NLOS first.
Options
2013-08-26 02:27:34
OK thanks!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 850

Replies: 8

Related Articles