VLAN newbie

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VLAN newbie

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VLAN newbie
VLAN newbie
2013-08-28 03:34:41
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-SG3424

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.10.1 Build 20121017 Rel.57754

ISP :

Hi there.

I am having some issues trying to setup VLAN on the TP-Link device, probably has something to do with lack of understanding/expirience.

I've read the manual, at least the VLAN part. I already have a SG device in default mode (none of the managed features) serving the LAN. Being afraid to break the running system, I bought a new device which should break 24 ports to topology I need to service few DMZ networks. So this is what I had in mind (reduced):

VLAN 1 LAN
VLAN 2 router
VLAN 3 WAN - ISP1
VLAN 4 WAN - ISP2

the idea is to split the single WAN port of the router in order to be able to use the ISP2 as failover internet provider.

port 1 (VLAN 2, 3, 4, PVID 2, general, untag): this should connect to WAN port of the router (VLAN 2) and also be able to feed the packets to VLAN 3 and 4 so they get forwarded to port 2 (VLAN 3 = ISP1) and port 3 (VLAN 4 = ISP2)
port 2 (VLAN 3, PVID 3, general, untag): connected to ISP1 gateway
port 3 (VLAN 4, PVID 4, general, untag): connected to ISP2 gateway
port 24 (VLAN, trunk ): connected to existing LAN switch, intended to use solely for management of the new device

seems simple but I didn't manage to get it running. I think it's because there is a "default VLAN" that goes through ports 1-24, so as soon as I connect the wires, the internet in the office (on old TPLINK switch connected to port 24) stops working. I thought I'd delete the "default VLAN", but that doesen't seem to be possible. Seems like every port shares VLAN1 and there is no way around it. So I should probably get control of "management VLAN", tagging and untagging, trunk/access/general settings. I tried various settings (apart from mentioned above) but no luck. Could someone please just tell me how to get around having all the ports on same (default) VLAN? Would be very gratefull.

TIA
Options
1 Reply
Re:VLAN newbie
2013-10-17 21:32:52
Any reason why you are not tagging all vlans in port1? And which port has the router connecting all the vlans together in some way or form?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 568

Replies: 1

Related Articles