Please help to access the WEB ENABLED INTERFACE of my SG-3109, or connect via Serial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Please help to access the WEB ENABLED INTERFACE of my SG-3109, or connect via Serial

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-03-11 07:08:28
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-SG3109

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Sky

Aloha everyone

I have a TP-Link SG3109 9 port L2 Managed Gigabit Switch.

I am trying to communicate with it through my iMac for the past 2 days, but I have miserably failed.

The switch has a SERIAL PORT, and also a Web enabled interface.

I am unable to log on to it using a browser, as the IP address in the PDF manual is: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and typing in the FIRST only brings up my SKY ROUTER'S web page, and the second fails to connect.

I tried to connect DIRECTLY between the switch and a computer, and tried both IP addresses, and still both failed.

The manual says I need to setup the switch FIRST via the serial connector, so I bought off Amazon a SERIAL TO USB connection, which came with some PROLIFIC drivers.

Some research on the net pointed me to some more recent drivers for PROLIFIC PL2303 chip for Mac OSX MAVERICKS, which I've downloaded, but I don't think the serial connection is recognised by my mac or the OS properly?

It comes up as "USBSer!" in system information??

I did the same using an old Win XP laptop, and it also comes up as "USBSer!" in DEVICE MANAGER with a question mark beside it, so obviously not installed properly?

I also downloaded some terminal programs like COOLTERM and SECURECRT, BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO USE THEM OR EVEN COMMUNICATE with the switch....

I also saw some threads explaining how to use terminal, but again it's all code and very difficult to understand.

Can someone please explain a SIMPLE way to do this...

Or in plain English??

Many thanks
Options
5 Reply
Re:Please help to access the WEB ENABLED INTERFACE of my SG-3109, or connect via Serial
2014-03-11 18:29:43

oymd wrote

I did the same using an old Win XP laptop, and it also comes up as "USBSer!" in DEVICE MANAGER with a question mark beside it, so obviously not installed properly?

Hi, oymd

If you see the question mark on device manager - drivers are not installed properly.

1. Install drivers for your SERIAL TO USB converter on Windows XP;
2. Create new connection on HyperTerminal on Windows XP with next parameters:
* Eight data bits.
* One stop bit.
* No parity.
* Baud rate is 38400 (default).

See TP-Link TL-SG3109 Installation Guide -> RS-232 DB-9 Console Port:
http://tplink-manuals.org/tplink-tl-sg3109-installation-guide/19/
Options
Re:Please help to access the WEB ENABLED INTERFACE of my SG-3109, or connect via Serial
2014-03-11 19:52:47
Hi
Many thanks for your reply.
I have ordered a USB to SERIAL cable from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00077DJIQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The switch came with a null cable, as in female to female serial cable. It looks like this:

The port on the switch is male, so I connect as:

Switch>null modem cable>Serial to USB cable>iMac USB port.

When I connect it to a WINDOWS XP laptop, something happens, and the system starts to look for drivers.

I've downlaoded so far hundreds of drivers, but it seems they don't install right?

On the iMac no prompt happens.

Any idea what drivers I need?

Many many thanks
Options
2014-03-13 02:01:33
Can someone please point me to some drivers. I've tried like a hundred so far, and none have installed correctly.
Options
2014-03-14 20:36:15
hellooooo
anyone??
Options
Connection problem
2014-03-16 21:57:38
This might be very obvious but if not, it could help .
When trying to connect directly ,
did you set the local network connection on your computer to match the default subnet of the switch ?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1120

Replies: 5

Related Articles