Connection to ISP's Hotspot using wa7210n

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-03-28 21:01:19
Region : Belgium

Model : TL-WA7210N

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP : telenet

Hi everybody.

I bought the device to use on the camping so I could connect to a Homespot (A hotspot on another isp-client router, like FON if that make sense) from my ISP. However I never seem to be able to connect myself. The device can connect to the homespot, but I can not connect to the device. Wired nor Wireless gives me a connection. Normally I should get a login-page.

I tried every option possible, but to no avail. I asked the ISP if their system supports bridges etc, and they didn't know. They also didn't seem keen on finding it out.

In case I missed something, what should be the best option to choose in order to be able to connect to the device.

Thanks in advance.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connection to ISP's Hotspot using wa7210n
2014-03-31 14:49:01

Preske wrote

[COLOR=#000000]Normally I should get a login-page.

That ISP hotspot is a Captive Portal network, which requires every wireless client device to authenticate itself with usernames and passwords through the login-page. Access Points or routers, however, cannot log in the page and do the authentication themselves because they have no web browsers...

Normally, you need a laptop or PC to act as your internet gateway in this case as fotodamaris said.

However, some hotspot ISP sets liberal restrictions, you can try your luck with Repeater Mode as below.

Hotspot Wi-FI)))((( WA7210N in repeater mode ))))your laptops

If your laptop can be redirected to the login-page, it works

Check this post if you like to know more details about Captive Portal
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?73378-Can-not-connect-to-the-public-wifi-with-an-quot-I-Agree-quot-button-to-continue-to-the-intern&highlight=portal
Options
2014-04-02 01:33:33
Thank you for the explanation. I'll try this out asap. If it fails, I guess I'll have to go with the outdoor antenna.
Options
2014-04-20 03:03:17
I'm back with a update.

As suggested, I tried running it in repeater mode. I'm almost certain that it is not possible to connect to the ISP hotspots with a repeater. I have tried many times with several hotspots, both commerial (telenet hotspot) as customer (telenet homespot) The signal wasn't superstable, but there are other commercial hotspots in the neighbourhood I can connect too that have an even weaker signal, so I very much doubt that's an issue.

I'm currently using a wifi adapter that barely gets signal indoors, so there should be no reason the repeater shouldn't work outdoors and elevated.

I'd like to thank for the help.
Options