Universal Repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Universal Repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Universal Repeater
Universal Repeater
2014-03-29 03:06:58
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA7210N

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I have a problem using my WA7210N as a universal repeater for my WA5210G. The way they are set up is that the WA5210G is connected to a Netgear router provider by my ISP which is acting as a DHCP server. The WA7210N is then configured to act as a universal repeater for the WA5210G, they are using WPA/WPA2 automatic security.

The issue I have is that when a device attempts to connect to the network using the WA7210N it does not get an IP address from the DHCP server. If I turn off the WA7210N, allow the computer to connect using the WA5210G and get an IP address, then turn the WA7210N back on everything works correctly. I can then successfully access the internet and the web config for the WA7210N.

Previously, I was running the same set-up as this but with two WA5210G's connected in the same manner which was working properly. The reason I have upgraded one of these access points is to enable WPA security through the universal repeater function.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Options
4 Reply
Re:Universal Repeater
2014-04-01 23:13:58
Hello,

Many thanks for your help.

The WA5210G is connected to the netgear router via ethernet cable in access point mode with DHCP off.

Yes, you are correct, both are in the same subnet as the netgear router and I added the same gateway in both. The IP address of the netgear router is 192.168.0.1, the 5210g is 192.168.0.50 and the 7210n is 192.168.0.52

As this doesn't seem to be working I will try your suggestion below to use the 7210n as an access point router. I cannot use AP-Client mode as I need to add multiple wireless clients to it. I have read the guide and I just want to clarify one item. On the 7210n in access point client router mode should I use the same SSID and password as in the 5210g? Will this enable devices to connect to either device depnding on their location?
Options
2014-04-02 09:25:00
On the 7210n in access point client router mode should I use the same SSID and password as in the 5210g? Will this enable devices to connect to either device depnding on their location?

It depends on the wireless devices themselves whether or not they will roam between different APs of the same SSID. Some deviecs, like wireless adapters, have settings of roaming sensitivity level.

Options
2014-04-02 18:02:35
davewifi also asked that if he set the 5210 and 7210 with the same SSID and password, will his devices connects to either 7210 and 5210 when he is moving around different locations.

And that's what my post is answering...
Options
2014-04-02 19:55:12
Thanks very much to everybody for your help.

I have installed the device as in the guide below and it all seems to be working correctly. The only thing I had to do was input the Gateway and DNS settings on the 7210 as it dididn't seem to pick these up automatically.

The SSID's I have decided to leave them different for now as some devices do not seem to be able to connect to the 5210 (such as my mobile) but are able to connect to the 7210 with no problem. Therefore, users can choose which device to connect to. They can also set their devices to connect to the strongest network without trying to explain how to change their roaming sensitivity. I have set both passwords the same so I can give out one password.

Once again thanks for all the help.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 757

Replies: 4

Related Articles