TL-WA7210N often unable to connect to AP without rebooting.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-12 20:37:20
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA7210N

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 3.16.5 Build 130320 Rel.34410n

ISP :

Hi,

I have the TL-W7210N connected to a Technicolor TG582n as a wireless access point to provide free WiFi internet access for customers on our holiday caravan site. The router and the access point are the only devices attached to the phone line and I have turned the router's WiFi signal off.

If I reboot the TL-W7210N I can connect my laptop to it for a while but eventually get the, "Windows was unable to connect to 'SSID_name'", message. I've tried the troubleshooter but it doesn't help. Re-booting the TL-W7210N is the only thing that seems to work. If I connect to the router with an ethernet cable and open the TL-W7210N control page I can see that other people are connected and there is throughput, so it looks like it's just my problem (though obviously a customer may have the same problem in future so I'd like to fix it).

I connect to a different wireless network on a different phone line most of the time so I wondered if some setting is changed on my laptop when I switch networks, but restarting my laptop doesn't allow me to connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Jos
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-WA7210N often unable to connect to AP without rebooting.
2014-04-13 00:40:57
Thanks for your reply, I'll try this tonight when the customers are asleep! Can I just check a couple of things?

You say,
2-Network/LAN set Static IP, same sub-net as main router, and out of DHCP pool of your network, add ISP Gateway from main router/save

The Router has IP address 192.168.1.254 and the TL-W7210N has the static IP address 192.168.1.252 so I think these are OK. The Router's DHCP pool is currently 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.252, so I am planning to change the end IP address to 192.168.1.250.

You say to add the ISP Gateway from the main router to the Access Point Network/LAN Gateway setting. Do you mean my Router's IP address (192.168.1.254 ) or the IP address listed along with the DNS servers when I check my router's internet connectivity? If it's the second, this appears to change along with my internet IP address when I disconnect and reconnect the broadband connection (I do not currently have a static IP address with my ISP). Would I need to change this setting on the Access Point every time the router loses it's connection for any reason?

Thanks,
Jos
Options
Re:TL-WA7210N often unable to connect to AP without rebooting.
2014-04-13 23:46:32
Thanks for your reply. Luckily I worked out that it would be easier to change the Access Point IP address (Doh!) and coincidentally chose the IP address you suggest. I'd also discovered which gateway address you meant after a Google.

These are the only changes I made last night and all seems well so far - I would normally not be able to connect after this length of time. I'll see how it goes with these settings as it seems likely that these two errors may well be the cause of the instability so far. If I continue to have problems I'll try your other suggested changes from points 3 & 4.

Thanks very much for your help, it made all the difference. For any other network novices out there, I also found this web page helpful, http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556 It's about using a wireless router as an access point so it's not completely comparable but it seems to explain the ins and outs of a basic wireless network simply enough for a novice to follow! Looking at the comments, giving the access point an IP address that is included in the DHCP pool is quite a common error.

Jos
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1256

Replies: 2

Related Articles