TL-SG2424 Port Trunking question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-16 01:48:22
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-SL2210WEB

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Good day,

I recently bought a TP-LINK TL-SG2424 Smart Switch after reading through the documentation on this page:
http://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/download/?model=TL-SG2424&version=V1#tbl_doc

The first "User Guide" has a definition of Port Trunk.
Link to First Guide

The second "User Guide" fails to provide a working document.
Link to Second Guide

The third "User Guide" is not working either.
Link to Third Guide

So still, I have no confirmation yet if this switch provides port trunking.

However I was sure I'd seen somewhere it was possible with this switch.
Using firmware version 1.0.2 (20131212), I was not able to locate any page with mention of Trunking anywhere.

So I reverted the firmare to the first version available on the download page (v1.0.1 20120522).
And look what I have found with this older version:

Here we can clearly see the Port Config tab under VLAN Menu.

Comparing with the latest version (1.0.2.20131212) where this option is now gone.

We can see below the Port Config is now gone.

I also tried to setup Port Trunking under the latest version using the command line interface (CLI) and no success there either.

So my question is where is Port Trunking gone?

Thanks in advance,

happyPenguin
Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-SG2424 Port Trunking question
2014-05-07 16:29:00

happyPenguin wrote

[COLOR=#000000]Region : Argentina
So still, I have no confirmation yet if this switch provides port trunking.

However I was sure I'd seen somewhere it was possible with this switch.

Hi, happyPenguin

What do you mean by the phrase "Port Trunking": Link aggregation or VLAN Tagging?

If you need to combine a number of ports together to make a single high-bandwidth data path - use LAG (Link Aggregation Group).
Your remote device must support LACP protocol too.

See TP-Link TL-SG2424 User Guide -> LAG:
http://tplink-manuals.org/tplink-tl-sg2216-sg2424-sg2424p-sg2452-user-guide/46/
Options
2014-06-11 05:48:28
If your looking to combine ports for more bandwidth, lystor has explained that above. If you are looking to send multiple VLANs through a single port, they have simplified it. You no longer have to set the port type and then the VLAN tags. If you want to send multiple VLANs down one port just make sure the port is set to Tagged. Then make sure the Tagged port is a member of each VLAN you want to be able to send through the port.
Options
2014-09-19 01:16:07
Um, A VLAN Trunk Port is a port that allows all VLAN tags to pass unmolested. What he shows in the newer firmware implies that he has to instantiate every VLAN that will pass through the switch, even if no "non-trunk" port on the switch will be subscribing to the VLAN. I have other switches like this and they are a real pain. I much prefer being able to designate specific ports as VLAN Trunk Ports.
Options
2014-11-17 18:11:31
Any news regarding this issue?

The interface commands "switchport type { access | trunk | general }" is also not available. However the CLI reference manual states it is.

/T
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6267

Replies: 4

Related Articles