vlan problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

vlan problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
vlan problem
vlan problem
2014-06-24 23:20:58
Region : Netherlands

Model : TL-SG2424

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I’m new to smart switches and vlans so I’m looking for some advise on how to configure my setup. I have a dedicated wireless AP (an airport extreme) for guest wifi and I want this AP in a separate vlan. The simplified setup is:

Tomato router <—> TL-SG2008 <—> AP

The AP is connected to port 8 of the switch. I want to put the AP in vlan 9. So port 8 is set to vlan 9 untagged. The router has its port set to vlan 9 tagged (and vlan 9 bridged to its own subnet) . But its not working, the AP does not receive dhcp and dns. If I remove vlan 9 from port 8 the AP will work fine.

What’s wrong with this setup?

BTW couldn't find my switch in the model number drop down menu.
Options
7 Reply
Re:vlan problem
2014-06-25 23:37:27
How are you utilizing your router? In other words are you using a different port on the router for each VLAN or are you using one port for multiple VLAN's?
If you are using separate ports on the router for each VLAN then just make sure Port 8 and the port you use to uplink to your router are in VLAN9, with both ports untagged. If you are using one port on the router to connect to the switch but are running multiple VLAN's through it, then you need Port 8 to be in VLAN9 set to untagged (as you have it), and you need the port you are using to uplink to the router also put into VLAN9 as a Tagged port.
Options
2014-06-27 02:32:17

abailey wrote

If you are using one port on the router to connect to the switch but are running multiple VLAN's through it, then you need Port 8 to be in VLAN9 set to untagged (as you have it), and you need the port you are using to uplink to the router also put into VLAN9 as a Tagged port.

Only one router port is connected. I have set switch port 8 to vlan 9 untagged. And the router port is vlan 9 tagged. Your not talking about the switch uplink port, right?
Options
2014-06-27 11:06:12
The switch port that you are using to uplink to the router... that port needs to be a Tagged member of every VLAN you want to pass to the router. How many VLAN's are passing through the uplink port from the switch to the router?
Options
2014-06-29 01:35:18
Only one vlan goes through the switch uplink (port 1). AP is on port 8.

All router ports behave the same way because that's easier to configure (but only one router LAN port is connected).

Still the AP on switch port 8 does not get an IP address.

Thank you abailey for helping me to figure this out.
Options
2014-06-29 23:08:36
Ok. Tell me how you have the switch connected to the router? Do you have 2 connections going to the router? One connection for VLAN1 and one for VLAN9? I am not familiar with the Tomato interface but it looks like that is what you are doing. If not then you have one connection to the router from the switch and you want to send both VLAN1 and VLAN9 down the same connection? Let me know which way you are going to do it and I will tell you how to set your switch.
Options
2014-06-30 03:36:19
The smart switch is connected to a unmanaged switch (other floor) which has one single uplink cable to the router. So only one router LAN port is connected. All VLANs pass through that one single router port.
Options
2014-06-30 04:48:03

mauzzz wrote

The smart switch is connected to a unmanaged switch (other floor) which has one single uplink cable to the router. So only one router LAN port is connected. All VLANs pass through that one single router port.

I apologize about asking so many questions. I just want to make sure I have this straight in my mind before I tell you something to do. Now are you saying the AP is connected to a smart switch. The smart switch is connected to the unmanaged switch with one Ethernet cable, and the unmanaged switch is connected to the router with one Ethernet cable? If this is how it is set up, it won't work that way. An unmanaged switch is not VLAN aware and can not pass VLAN tagged traffic correctly. You would need to replace that switch with a smart switch, or add a smart switch in the same place the unmanaged switch is.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1915

Replies: 7

Related Articles