TL-SG108E Two VLANS over 1 Cable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-09-04 03:46:03
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-SL2210WEB

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have two buildings connected with 1 fiber optic connection. I also have two TL-SG108E switches.

Building 1 has our Sonicwall and our cable modem

Building 2 has DVRs that need access to the modem, and computers that need access to the sonicwall.

My idea was 2 VLANs. One for the modem, one for the Sonicwall.

Ports 1-4 VLAN1, Ports 5-7 VLAN2, Port 8 connecting both switches.

I've tried following the directions given by abailey here: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?76663-TP-LINK-TL-SG108E-VLAN-configuration-issue&highlight=TL-SG108E

I can't change any of the tagging on the default VLAN1 in the utility, and everything i've tried so far has left me with frustration and pulling my hair out.

What is the simplest way to accomplish this? Thanks!
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-SG108E Two VLANS over 1 Cable
2014-09-05 04:09:53
I will tell you I don't have any of the "Easy Smart" switches. I have several from the "Smart Switch" line. So I will tell you the easiest way to do it on the "Smart Switch" line and hopefully it is the same of very similar on the "Easy Smart" line of switches.
Ok under VLAN, 802.11Q you should already have a VLAN in the VLAN Table. Default Vlan, with an ID of 1. Now under VLAN Create, make a second VLAN, name it what you want to and make the ID 2.
Now you have Vlan1 and Vlan2. Ok under VLAN Table, click on the box next to VLAN1. Make sure ports 1-4 are untagged members. Ports 5-7 you should click the box next to NotMember. Port 8 should be a Tagged member. Ports 1-4 and 8 should have a PVID of 1. Apply that.
Now select VLAN2 in the VLAN table. Make sure ports 1-4 are checked as NotMember. Ports 5-7 should be checked as Untagged members, and port 8 should be checked as a Tagged Member. Ports 5-7 should have a PVID of 2. Port 8 you can leave the PVID of 1.
Apply this.
Now save the config and it should be good to go. Make sure you do the same thing on the second switch so they match (well at least you have to have the same VLAN numbers and a tagged port to connect back to the other switch).
Note: To do it the way I said above you probably need to connect to one of the ports 1-4 to configure the switch as that is the default VLAN.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1199

Replies: 1