Unable to update firmware SG3210 v2!?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-19 16:28:45
Region : The Netherlands

Model : TL-SG3210

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 1.9.4 Build 20130813 Rel.56798

ISP :

Recently purchased a SG3210 V2 switch.
Noticed that there is newer firmware available for this one, so I downloaded it from the tp-link supportsite.
According to your download support, version TL-SG3210v2_en_1.9.8_[20140818-rel66877]_up is available.
UnZIPped the file and tried to load that new f/w onto the switch through the webmanagement console.

After selecting the .bin file click on [ Upgrade] button and after a few seconds the screens fills up with some strange source code text. ?!?
Something like this:

"var testName=/\.bin/g; if(!testName.test(fileName)) { alert(js_bad_file = "Please check the type of the file!"); var element = document.getElementById("filename"); { element.focus(); element.select(); } return false; } if(fileName.length > 63) { alert(js_bad_filename = "The filename length should be less than 64 bytes!"); var element = document.getElementById("filename"); { element.focus(); element.select(); } return false; } if( !confirm(js_confirm_update="Are you sure to upgrade firmware?") ) { return false; } return true; } function guestDisableAll() { document.forms[0].filename.disabled = true; document.forms[0].submit.style.display = "none"; }"

After that the switch does not respond to any reboot/config save and other commands. It keeps on functioning, but the f/w is NOT upgraded and the only thing to get the webmanagement interface working again is to power off/on.
I cannot change any configuration through the webconsole anymore. [Save config] also displays error message "Save the config failed". Even reset through the webconsole does not work anymore "Error". Only power off/on does bring back the switch webconsole.

I have tried from different computers, different OS's, different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome). Even tried the 3 different downloads of the firmware on your website (130813, 140515, 140818). The all fail with the same kind of strange error messages.
Tried again after resetting to factory default; did not work.
Tried again after using default IP address; did not work.
Tried again with other cabling, other computers, other nics in computers; did not work.
Tried unZIPping the download file with standard Windows 7 and WinXP unzip tool + WinZip + WinRar; did not work.

It seems the .BIN files in the firmware downloads are damaged somehow?
E.g. when I use the [Save config] command, I get an error message "save the config failed" but no clou what is going wrong, also no message in the log file.

Anyone succeeded in upgrading the f/w of the SG3210 V2? Because the newer versions have IPv6 support and I want to setup an IPv6 environment.
Options
4 Reply
Try downgrading to firmware 130813
2014-10-21 15:35:07
You could try downgrading to firmware 130813.Then first upgrade it to the firmware 140515 then upgrade to the newest firmware 140818.
Options
Re:Unable to update firmware SG3210 v2!?
2014-10-21 17:56:22
Like I explained...I tried al the available downloadable f/w versions. None of them worked. They all gave those strange error messages... :(
Options
2014-10-23 13:36:33
I have exactly the same problem.
Tried everything with no luck,
Then the TP-LINK guys told me use FTP to upgrade the switch, and it works.
You can try this refer to the user guide.

CaptainHook wrote

Like I explained...I tried al the available downloadable f/w versions. None of them worked. They all gave those strange error messages... :(
Options
2014-10-23 17:11:09
First of all: I also reported this issue with TP Link support last week, but got no relevant answer from them. :(

I finally found the issue! Apparantly antivirus software scans the .BIN file while it is being uploaded, through the webmanagement console from TP Link to the switch.
As a result of this realtime scanning, the webmanagent console timeouts (?) and displays part of its own html source code within the active window.

When I disable A/V software, the upload process of the switch firmware (.BIN) file works ok and after a few seconds the switch reboots, and when you login again, you can see the f/w has been upgraded and now being able to configure IPv6 parameters. :D

Of course; only disable A/V s/w when you are NOT connected to the internet and that you are sure that all downloaded files (ready for uploading to the switch) are scanned previously! ;)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1064

Replies: 4

Related Articles