How to retrieve to MAC address of a PC that is plugged into a certain physical port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to retrieve to MAC address of a PC that is plugged into a certain physical port

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-12-13 21:55:52
Region : Germany

Model : TL-SG5428

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 14

ISP :

I need to know which PC/device is connected to which physical port of the TP-SG3424P switch. The PC/device is uniquely identifiable via its mac address.

A table with physical ports and mac addresses of the connected PC's/devices would be excellent!

I want to be able to submit a command from a linux computer and get the table with physical ports & mac addresses returned.

Has anyone an idea how this can be achieved?

Regards,
Rolf
Options
5 Reply
Re:How to retrieve to MAC address of a PC that is plugged into a certain physical port
2014-12-17 04:59:01
If you access via the CLI the following command should work:

[CODE]show mac address-table all[/CODE]
Options
Re:How to retrieve to MAC address of a PC that is plugged into a certain physical port
2014-12-17 14:59:25
Thx, I'll try that.

Do you know the SNMP MIB for this command by any chance?

adprom wrote

If you access via the CLI the following command should work:

Regards,
Rolf

[CODE]show mac address-table all[/CODE]
Options
2014-12-17 17:39:21
Options
2014-12-17 17:44:26
Dear Mavis,

The MIB files are indeed on the website. I've dowloaded them and are using them in combination with MIB Browser. However, I struggle to find to proper O.I.D. probably caused by me being a total newbee in this area.

Regards,
Rolf

Mavis wrote

Options
2014-12-18 17:08:53
Hi,

I've tried the following command via the CLI via SSH

show mac address-table all

it worked!

in combination with a single ping from the linux prompt to all devices on the subnet e.g.

ping 192.168.178.1 -c 1

and an arp request on every successful ping like this

arp -a 192.168.178.50

I can quickly generate a complete overview of the network, including which device is connected to each port on the switches that we use.

Excellent!

Thanks!

Rolf wrote

Thx, I'll try that.

Do you know the SNMP MIB for this command by any chance?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2099

Replies: 5