TL-SG1016DE VLAN Trunking

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-01-13 22:23:02
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-SG1016DE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I recently purchased this switch in order to use the VLAN function to separate my home network. Previously I've just had a one network with a unmanaged switch so this is all a bit new to me. I'm struggling to configure and I think there's a basic concept I've not got the grips with that I be really grateful of some pointers.

Setup
- Sophos UTM 9 (Previously Astaro)
- I have one NIC setup with two VLANs, 10 & 20.
- I've run a single cable to Port 1 of the switch
- On the switch I've configured 802.1Q VLAN as:
--- VLAN1 (Default), Port 1-16
--- VLAN10, Port 1 tagged, Port 2-8 untagged
--- VLAN20, Port 1 tagged, Port 9-16 untagged
--- VLID 1 (Default) = ID 1
--- VLID 2-8 = ID 10
--- VLID 9-16 = ID 20

As I understand it I now need to configure a trunk so multiple VLAN's can pass through the cable in Port 1. I can't quite make sense of the Trunk Config screen and the docs which leads me to believe I'm not understanding the trunking concept.

I've setup, Trunk 1 as Ports 1 only.

When I connect devices to the switch they do pickup the correct IP address, i.e. Port 16 (VLAN 20) will pick up 192.168.20.1 and Port 2 (VLAN 10) will pick up 192.168.10.1. But the devices don't seem to be able to get out despite the UTM having rules to allow access on all ports.

I've got hub and was going to use wireshark to try (Not an expert!) and get an idea of what's going on but wanted to see if I've misunderstood a basic concept. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ian.
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-SG1016DE VLAN Trunking
2015-02-27 02:07:08
If they receive a correct IP address I suspect an error in the routing settings in Sophos.
Options
Re:TL-SG1016DE VLAN Trunking
2015-05-29 07:49:12
You have already created a trunk interface by tagging vlan 10 and vlan 20 traffic on your tplink switch port 1. If your firewall expects all traffic coming from the tplink to be tagged respectively then that essentially is the trunk. Dont be confused by tplinks trunk setup as its not vlan trunking its actually used to create an LACP link. Its confusing that they dont use proper terms.

I have a similar setup where i use port 16 to tag my vlans (2 - main and 3 -guest) with the PVID as 2, my firewalls interface to which it connects is also configured to tag the same vlan traffic and it works fine. DHCP works respectively to each VLAN on the switch, and if i need to i can enable intra-vlan routing on my gateway and can ping different hosts from different vlans. Maybe try setting the PVID of switchport 1 to 10 and deleting the "trunk" interface that you configured.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4202

Replies: 2

Related Articles