TL-SG105E/8E - Question regarding IP and subnets

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-01-29 03:04:51
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-SL2210WEB

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello to all.

First of all one remark : Please add the 105E and 108E to the selection in the Model Number dropdown field ;-)
Then a user can use the correct model version ;-)

So now to the issue I have.

I have a TL-SG105E and a TL-SG108E in my network.

The topology:

ADSL Modem --------- Router with L3 switch -------------- TL 105----------------- workstation 1
..................................................................................|
..................................................................................|
..................................................................................|---------------------- TL108
...........................................................................................................|---------------------- workstation 2
...........................................................................................................|---------------------- workstation 3
...........................................................................................................|---------------------- NAS1
...........................................................................................................|---------------------- NAS2
...........................................................................................................|---------------------- WLAN AP

The problem ist, that I want to have
- all infrastructure components in SUBNET 1 and VLAN1 (Management VLAN1).
- all workstations and NAS1 in a SUBNET 2 and VLAN2
- NAS2 in SUBNET 3 and VLAN3
- WLAN AP in SUBNET 4 and VLAN4

The numbers are just for easier understanding....

In my understanding, the different subnets are no problem as the SG10xE are L2 switches that do not use the IP address in the packets for switching, they only use the MAC address for their SAT.

My problem is now:
If I put the switches in SUBNET1 as all the other infrastructure components, I cannot configure them by the Easy Smart Configuration Utility as it states "Host IP address and Switch IP address must be in the same subnet".
The quick-and-easy way would be to set the workstation that is used for configuration in the same subnet as all the infrastructure components.
Is this a common way of doing or is there an easier way?

Another question:
Why should I configure a default Gateway in the SG10xE ?
When is this addres used ?

Thanks for any help

Best regards
S.
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-SG105E/8E - Question regarding IP and subnets
2015-01-29 10:06:30
Did you read its user guide?
When the switch IP Address is not in the same subnet with host IP Address, it can be discovered by the utility, but you cannot login the utility management page. Therefore, it needs to set the switch IP Address in the same subnet with host IP Address, which allows you to login the utility management page and configure the switch.
To configure the switch, follow this guide.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=788
Options
Re:TL-SG105E/8E - Question regarding IP and subnets
2015-01-29 17:53:35
Hello Vivian,
Yes I did read it - normally I do so before asking any questions ;)
And the linked FAQ article - IMHO - has nothing to do with the question.

That was the reason why I asked whether it´s a good idea to change the workstation´s IP to be in the same subnet.
Or to ask more precisely:

What is the better way:
a) change the workstation IP
b) change the switch IP

The second topic "Gateway" was dropped.
So I ask it again:
Why should I configure a default Gateway in the SG10xE ?
When is this addres used ?

Regards S.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1640

Replies: 2