How to Accomplish Wired Client Isolation on TL-SG108E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-10 05:08:11
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-SL2210WEB

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm trying to configure a part of my home network that will accommodate my "Internet of Things" devices. My requirement is to have them on the same subnet, but with client isolation so the devices can't see each other. For the WiFi devices, this was an easy thing to do as the Netgear router has a "WLAN Partition" option that when enabled, each wireless clients will be in its own virtual network and will not be able to communicate with other clients. I also needed this kind of client isolation for wired connections which can't be accomplished with the Netgear device so I purchased a TL-SG108E. I have port 1 of the SG108E connected to a port on the Netgear router that is assigned to the 192.168.3.0/24 subnet. I am unclear as to how to configure the SG108E to give me the port isolation I want, call me paranoid, but I don't want Samsung pushing down firmware that scans my network looking for things. I want each device on the 192.168.3.0/24 network to think that the the only other thing on that network is the gateway address out to the internet; no inter/intra VLAN communications allowed. My networking knowledge is pretty basic so I'd appreciate simple explanations as to how I might accomplish what I'm after.

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to Accomplish Wired Client Isolation on TL-SG108E
2015-02-10 09:16:24
MTU VLAN should be able to work in the way you like.
Clients connected to SG108E cannot communicate with each other but they can talk with netgear router to access internet.
Options
Isolation config
2015-02-10 10:38:18
Thanks, that's what I thought but I don't seem to be having any success. Could you please give me some specifics on what to plug in where and the ip/netmask/gateway settings should look like on the SG108E , please?
Options
Re:How to Accomplish Wired Client Isolation on TL-SG108E
2015-02-10 22:10:18
I found what my issue was, I had some of the other VLAN capabilities enabled. Once I disabled all but MTU VLAN it started working. I do have one other challenge; on my 192.168.3.0/24 subnet that has the gateway and WiFi on the NetGear router, When I do a network scan from my iPhone, while the "WLAN Partition" feature hides all the WiFi devices connected to that SSID, it doesn't hide any of the wired devices connected to the SG108E.

One other thing I'd like to accomplish is that since I have an Amazon FireStick in my 192.168.3.0/24 WiFi segment, I wanted to take an old iPod and install the Amazon Fire app on it to control the FireStick. This requires that they both be on the same subnet and and can see each other. I'm wondering if their is some way (e.g., static route) that would maintain the WLAN isolation but let the iPod communicate with the FireStick.

Thanks for all your help on this. It has been a learning experience.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1866

Replies: 3