Antenna calculator for TL-WA7510N

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-09 17:33:18
Region : Others

Model : TL-WA7510N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,
I have tried to use TP Link WiFi calculator on the web site to find out what antenna would be sufficient for connecting a pair of TL-WA7510N routers point to point, for a fast link.
However, the calculator on the web site does not have any 5GHz routers... :( If somebody knows somebody who might update the calculator and add 5GHz routes, please ask them to do so! It's number one hit

The distance is 140m.
Fresnell zone is not an issue, as it's all open space, top of the building (60m above ground)
I want them to connect at 56Mbits (is integrated antenna sufficient for that?)
Is it possible to have a reliable 150Mbit connection (what antenna?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Vlada
Options
14 Reply
Re:Antenna calculator for TL-WA7510N
2015-03-10 08:42:03
Hi Vlada.

150M is just a piece of cake..TWO TL-WA7510N is absolutely capable to provide a link above 54Mbps in your scenario as you described. No need for external antennas.

And when you configure, you'd better manually select a static channel on the AP among channel 36~48 or 149~165 to avoid using DFS channel.

Also, I suggest to use AP mode + Client mode. (Client mode with WDS option selected)
Options
2015-03-10 08:45:48
Add: Don't use that calculator. That is completely theoretic ..and little relevant with actual scenario..

An antenna cannot generate any power or recognize signal by itself. What an antenna does is converting electric power fed from the router into radio waves, and vice versa.

So, talking about the "Radius of signal coverage", the"power output" or the "sensing distance” of an antenna doesn't make any sense because it also depends on the router/AP.
The Approximate Range is calculated through the Free Space Propagation Model and for theoretical reference only.

In real-world scenarios, signal coverage is affected by environmental factors like obstacles, channel interference, thus it is difficult to tell how far a router/AP can cover, unless we do a field test to find out.
Options
2015-03-10 17:32:15
@coca koala: thank you for the advice... on Friday I will be getting wall mounts and actually installing the units, so I'll see what speed do I get via integrated antenna.

@fotodamaris: thank you... I already purchased 7510s, but if they prove to be incapable, I'll just return them and get CPE510 instead. They were almost twice the price of 7510, so that's the main reason why I wanted to try 7510 first and see if it's good enough.
Options
2015-03-10 19:48:27
Sorry, I have just checked, and I was a bit wrong... price in Serbia for a single 7510 is 65 EUR, and price for CPE510 is 95 EUR.
So if I exchange the device, I'd have to pay 30+30 = 60EUR extra... do you think it's worth it? :confused:
Options
2015-06-30 20:00:19
Now I have trouble with this device - I have tried to use it as an indoor access point, in order to test 5GHz band on a laptop, and the speed is abysmal... can't get passed 400 kilobytes per second when transferring in LAN... and the speed goes up and down all the time, from 0 to 400, then down to 0, then again to 400, and so on. (see the picture)

I have tried changing the channel. While 2.4GHz band in this area is very crowded, 5GHz bad is not crowded at all, only 2 AP's besides this one (that's the reason for testing in the first place).

Connected laptop was only 2m (TWO METERS!) from the AP. I have tried with 27dbi, and 8dbi, it's equally slow. I have tried to come closer, to go further, nothing helps. Should I use omni antenna indoors?

Options
2015-06-30 21:13:27

Sizif wrote

Now I have trouble with this device - I have tried to use it as an indoor access point

thats all I read from your post I have tried to use it as an indoor access point and dont need to read the rest to answer.
CPEs are not indoor APs, if you need a indoor why you purchased a outdoor device, CPEs are ment to be deployed to link two sites distance apart.
I pass 20 megas on a 778 mts. no issues
Options
2015-06-30 21:31:45
Well, I bought it initially for external point-to-point connection (see the first post from March), but it won't work well either. I couldn't get more than 1 megabyte per second at a distance of only 150 meters with integrated antenna. Since it was useless, I wanted to give it a try and use both units as internal access points at 5GHz (since 2.4GHz is very crowded, almost 50 AP's within reach)

I shouldn't forget to mention that 5GHz band was very crowded at the place where I wanted to use it point-to-point. However, that's not the case here, where I want to use it indoors.

My main question now is the decision should I invest in omni-antenna or not... it's not that cheap, around 60€ for 12dBi. Or should I try something else to make it work? Or should I just throw it in garbage?!? :rolleyes:
Options
2015-06-30 21:40:14

Sizif wrote

1-Well, I bought it initially for external point-to-point
2-should I just throw it in garbage?!?

1-there you have it is a device for links
2-no, for what I remember 7510 does not connect to devices, one way to do so is set it as Router, no antenna would solve the issue, so dont spend your money, try one, flash it with a third party solution DD-WRT, OpenWrt or Gargoyle, you might be able to use it as indoor AP, and if you dont like it revert to stock, if need assistance on how to flash it, ask.
Options
2015-06-30 22:25:20
danymarc, thank you, I already tried DD-WRT when I was experimenting with that point-to-point setup, but it wasn't any better than stock, so I reverted back to the latest stock firmware.

What I'm thinking now is to borrow an antenna instead of buying it, just to see if that makes any difference.
Options
2015-06-30 23:28:02

Sizif wrote

I already tried DD-WRT

DD today is something you have to know what you are doing, the Wiki is outdated, al the new builds are on the forum, and its really complicated, I personally dont use it, I use OpenWrt its the best platform I have found, that said, DD is not that bad, sometimes there are issues in the forum that do not belong to Tp-link devices, a link between 2- 7510s AP-Client its like laying a invisible Cat5 cable, there is no Nat, or DHCP involved, I have seen issues where QOS on main router is the issue and so on.
It is very clear to me, you know what you are doing, on the wifi matter, and by your posts I read, you know, but if there is a complex set up network behind the 7510 do not connect to switches or Mikrotiks etc. connect direct to main router from ISP.
Did you try Router mode, cause I remember a guy wanted to connect smartphone to 7510, never, untill he set uo router, this is a known issue from 7510
the borrow an antenna matter, I dont see the solution there, this is a Bandwidth matter, not a cover matter, unless iternal antenna is broken, but you have 2 7510s one has to work
Re-crimp you cat5 ends, or try another patched cat5
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2277

Replies: 14

Related Articles