Please help understanding switch funtions (total noob)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-03-14 07:07:42
Region : Belgium

Model : TL-SG1016DE

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP : Telenet

Hi everyone,
I recently bought 2 TL-SG1016DE switches, one for downstairs, one for upstairs,
But i'm having some serious problems understanding what functions i'll need to configure to complete this setup.
After reading about some of the functions like VLAN, trunking, etc, i would understand how these functions (should)work,
but wouldn't understand how i would need to implement them in this environment,
how my router or modem would affect things... or I would have doubts about some other function or interactions.:confused:

I really hope people are willing to help me find the knowledge needed to get on my way with this project.

This was the current setup.
Now i moved the router downstairs, next to 1 TL-SG1016DE.
The other one upstairs where the router was.

I was hoping to:
replace the L1 switch (right next to the cable modem in the picture)
It receives multiple IP's from the cable modem, and i would like one of those IP's to go to:
- the wireless router
- 1 IP upstairs (to the second NAS port, so i can tunnel downloads through a different IP) (safety?)
- 1 IP to the red zone (wireless AP that is used by my father, and anyone visiting the house) (so a public VLAN that can't access others parts of the network)
- 1 special IP going to the cable TV DVR, since it gets a special IP from the ISP (if i connect it behind the router, the VOD functions and TV guide don't work 100%)

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
and to everyone an enjoyable and relaxing weekend :o
Options
1 Reply
current setup
2015-03-15 22:59:50
So right now, the network looks like this.
[URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/05e113397403991]
settings:
IGMP snooping enabled.... Ports 1 are linking the 2 switches, and i enabled port trunk 1 / port 1.
Loop prevention enabled
802.1Q VLAN enabled... but not sure what do do exactly.

all other settings have been left alone for now.
:confused:
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 530

Replies: 1

Related Articles