SG105E - 802.1P QoS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

SG105E - 802.1P QoS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
SG105E - 802.1P QoS
SG105E - 802.1P QoS
2015-04-26 00:13:42
Region : Belgium

Model : TL-SL2210WEB

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.0.3 Build 20141016 Rel.49580

ISP : Irrelevant

Hello,

First and for all, can one of the administrators please add the SG105E and its variants to the list of models?

It is not clear to me what exactly the impact of switching on 802.1P QoS is.

Question 1
Is 802.1P in addition to or replacing port-based QoS?

The manual says "As for the untagged packets, the switch will forward it according to the default port-based QoS mode.".
Does it mean that the setting made for port-based QoS applies, e.g. if the configuration is priority 1 on port 1
and priority 4 on port 5 and an untagged packet comes in, will it work as if only port-based QoS was on and put untagged packets
from port 1 on the queue for priority 1 and untagged packets from port 5 on the queue for priority 4?
Or does "default" mean the operation is as if all has priority 1, which is the default factory setting?

Question 2
Will it tag packets?
In 802.1P QoS mode, according to the manual packets are put onto certain queues.
But supposing that 802.1P is in addition to port-based QoS and packets are forwarded to a port that is tagged for 802.1Q.
Does the switch also put in the priority field on based of the port-based classification?
Such that the next switch can continue to use the classification made.
My practical case: on switch 1 on port 1 general data packets come in, while on port 4 real-time AV packets come in.
Therefore I have for the moment on switch 1 enabled port-based QoS to map the packets from port 1 to priority 2 and those
from port 4 to priority 4. Port 1 and 2 belong to VLAN 2 and port 2 and 4 belong to VLAN 4.
Both types of packet can flow to port 2, which is connected via a powerline link to switch 2.
The packets of VLAN 4 are tagged for 802.1Q on being transmitted by port 2. The packets of VLAN 2 are not tagged on port 2.

What I want to achieve: if the tagged packets for VLAN 4 also would take with them the high priority setting then the second switch could use
this also in its priority settings. The packets come in on switch 1 on port 1 and of course 802.1Q is enabled.
What if I would put port-based QoS on switch 2 for port 1 to 2.
Suppose an untagged packet comes in, for instance originating from the other switch, where it originated from the "data" port, port 1.
Because of the port-based QoS on switch 2, it would be put on priority queue 2.
If now 802.1P is also on on switch 2 and it would receive a tagged packet with a high priority, it would put it onto queue 4.
But this only works if the first switch puts the priority information in!

Is this the case? If yes, what is the mapping from port-based priorities to the 802.1P egress packet priority.
The manual gives the mapping in the other direction but does not say there is actually a "write" of priority values, nor does it talk about the mapping in that case.

Feedback appreciated.

Eric
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 720

Replies: 0

Related Articles