TL-WA5210G Poor Performance and Thru-put

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-20 09:10:47
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA901ND

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have 2 remote locations (poles) each approx. 300 feet away from my AP, I am trying to bring back 5 IP cameras (2 on one pole 3 on the other) to my NVR and the thru-put I am getting from these units are horrible maxed out at 7Mbps, I called tech support and they were no help and had trouble understanding them.
I have configured them as 2 clients and 1 AP, I have tried Bridge mode point to multi point, nothing helps. Time to ship these back?
I have used many other brands with no problems, I have lowered my power because of the short distance I have tried every channel, Any ideas? Or maybe try a different configuration, right now I have them set up are 2 clients and one AP

Thank You
SBaz
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-WA5210G Poor Performance and Thru-put
2015-05-23 10:03:26
First of all, the efficiency of Wi-Fi is usually 50%, which means you will only got about 25Mbps Ethernet throughput out from a 54Mbps wireless link. The reason is that there are extra cost besides the payload in wireless transmission.

TL-WA5210G is a bad choice to full fill your requirements of transmitting for 5 IP cameras. I mean it because I have been using TP-LINK's outdoor access point for a long time.
Assumes each IPC requires 5Mbps (at lest, I think) Ethernet throughput, 5 IPC makes 25Mbps, which requires 50Mbps wireless link rate on PHY layer theoretically in ideal channel conditions. It will require more than 50Mbps in the actual production as there are unavoidable packets loss, channel interference, client collision/competition and obstructions in the way(obstructions are WI-Fi killer). And this is still talking about unicast streaming, if you are using multicast streaming, the efficiently will be [COLOR=#ff0000]much lower
than 50%.

With all the above consideration, the old 54Mbps TL-WA5210G won't be in my list. I suggest to use TP-LINK's new outdoor access point CPE510 (300Mbps, 5GHz) for your case. You can also choose CPE210 if you prefer 2.4Ghz.

All these troubles would be gone if you were using CPE510/CPE210. Check the outdoor subforum, many forum users have been using CPE210/CPE510.

----------
If you want to know more about wireless efficiency.check below.
Netgear's FAQ is more conservative and it states the efficiency is only 30%~50%. This FAQ is getting the right direction, though not highly professional.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19668/~/differences-between-link-rate-and-transfer-speed-and-throughput
Options
2015-05-23 10:16:58
Thank you this is what I was leaning towards
Options
2015-05-23 10:27:08
Although this forum is not hot, but there are still many good guys here to help:cool:, especially in the outdoor subforum.

And I like to add that the forum administrator has been aperiodically releasing some beta firmware for the outdoor products (mainly for the CPE) in the beta subforum. So I think buying the new CPE will get more practical support.

http://forum.tp-link.com/forumdisplay.php?91-Beta-Firmware-Test
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 572

Replies: 3

Related Articles