WA5210G connecting two houses HELP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-07-20 15:21:29
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-WA5210G

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an odd ball question that I'm sure someone in this forum can answer.
I'm not a techie, so bare with me as I explain.

I"m sharing a wifi connection with my sister. I have the WA5210G set up as a repeater in my house, picking up her signal.
Nothing is hardwired into my 5210G, it's all wireless.
No issues on the connection as it has be working without a hitch, but here's my issue:

I recently purchased a ROKU and would like to start using it. BUT, ROKU won't connect to the "local network". I found out the router in my sister's house (which I connect to with my WA5210G)
is not set up with WPA or WPA2. The ROKU will not work unless it's WPA or WPA2. If I change the settings on her router, I would have to set up a password. Without getting into details,
she does not want any passwords on her wifi.

So, my question is, can I change the settings on my WA5210G to this WPA or WPA2 without affecting her wifi? (the original source of the internet)
If I can, which mode would I need to the 5210G in to do so?

Can someone give me a non techie explanation of an answer to this?
Options
25 Reply
Re:WA5210G connecting two houses HELP
2015-07-20 17:47:28
Bad luck! My friend...

You can do this easily on other models such as Tl-WA7210N / TL-WA901ND by using "bridge with AP mode", but NOT on TL-WA5210G /TL-WA7510N.....

TL-WA5210G /TL-WA7510N are old brothers that uses traditional bridge mode, which is not available in your case.

Maybe you can convince your sister that her facebook will be hacked if she don't set up WPA2-PSK for the Wi-Fi security..;)
Options
2015-07-20 17:49:52
Hard wire a 740 or 741 router, set as router on a dif subnet or as AP on same subnet, to 5210 set dif. channel on router and at least 5 mts. separation between devices, then set the security need it for Roku
Options
2015-07-20 23:24:59
Thanks! Danymarc, I have no idea what you just said. Can you say it again, but a bit more user friendly?
Options
2015-07-21 02:30:52
give me 30 min Im busy now, I will update this post
Options
2015-07-21 03:36:19

xcoyote21 wrote

Thanks! Danymarc, I have no idea what you just said. Can you say it again, but a bit more user friendly?

@coca koala gave you the answer, soon or later the network will be hacked
the 5210 you have in or out of your home has an empty Ethernet port just have to open the lower cover, and you will see the Ethernet port

subirimagenes
that port delivers wifi via lan cable, buy a cheap Tp-Link router like 740 or 741 and connect via cable, connect one end to 5210 the other end to blue WAN port of the new router, from there, with another lan cable connect one end to any of the 4 empty yellow ports the other end to Roku.
once you have the router post and I will post how to set the new router, in the meanwhile if you can tell me what IP is your 5210 set it would be great, if you dont know how, forget it we will set it in subnet 2 and that will do
Options
2015-07-21 05:21:59
Awesome! Thanks! I do believe I have a cheap router somewhere, no issue there.
My next question would be, do I need to connect the ROKU directly to the router? Can it be a wireless connection?
Also, will I be losing a lot of internet speed doing it this way?
Options
2015-07-21 05:43:07

xcoyote21 wrote

1-I have a cheap router somewhere, no issue there.
2-My next question would be, do I need to connect the ROKU directly to the router? Can it be a wireless connection?
3-Also, will I be losing a lot of internet speed doing it this way?

Number one issue here, its you dont want to understand, or dont get it, be carefull with what @coca koala posted, your network will be hacked, soon or later
1-no problem, as long as that router is not on the same subnet as the 5210, subnet is the third segment of IP, e.g. 192.168.0.254
2-start by lan, then move to wireless, that way if you have issues, you will know who to blame, if is not a Tp-Link router, you will be in your own.
3-on #1 you posted I have the WA5210G set up as a repeater Im amaze Repeater mode works, or what you call works, Repeater its a mode with a 100 year guarantee to fail, you lose 50% of the bandwidth by default, if you make your sister understand set AP on internet side, and Client on the other side, (Client does not provide wireless internet only cable)
And now that I remember, If you really have a Repeater as you post, when 5210 is set to repeater mode provides wireless, something is wrong in your post, dont you have Bridge mode set. that mode looses 50% bandwidth too, why, 50% of the radio receives, and the other 50% transmits, thats the way repeaters work, AP-Client no loss at all
Options
2015-07-21 07:08:39
Truthfully, I don't know what it's set on, it's been like this for almost 3 years. I'm just assuming it's on repeater mode because, well, it repeats the signal, right?
I've tried to understand the differences in all the settings, but everything I've found and read assumes everyone knows computer talk, so it makes no sense to me.
Oh, I'm sure there's a place out there that describes it in regular people terms, but I haven't found it yet. LOL!
Yes, I understand "sooner or later", but if you knew where I lived, you'd pretty much guess "later".
1. I have no clue what a subnet is, I don't even know what a regular net is!
2. If I connect the ROKU directly to the router, does that mean I can connect it directly to the 5210 without going through everything else?
Options
2015-07-21 08:08:16

xcoyote21 wrote

2. If I connect the ROKU directly to the router, does that mean I can connect it directly to the 5210 without going through everything else?

Yes
Options
2015-07-21 09:10:30
OK, so if I can connect it right to the 5210, what's the point of having a router hook up? Won't that solved my original issue?
What am I missing here.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3215

Replies: 25