What equipment is needed to receive a wifi signal in an RV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-15 07:14:13
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello, I'm not tech savvy so I'm hoping I'll be able to explain what I want clearly enough.

I want to receive a wifi signal inside my RV at an RV park where the originating signal is coming from a mile away at the RV campground office. I use all Apple devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad, and a MacBook) as well as Apple's Time Machine which is my wireless router. I'm hoping only I need an omni-directional antenna that I can plug into my Time Machine. Will this suffice?

If not, what other equipment will I need?

Thank you very much.
Options
8 Reply
Re:What equipment is needed to receive a wifi signal in an RV
2015-08-15 11:19:11
A better way is to buy an CPE210 or TL-WA7210N. Installation will be like:

Options
2015-08-15 21:37:39
Thank you Tobacco, that is exactly what I want. It looks like the CPE210 has a longer range than the TL-WA7210N so I'd like to purchase the CPE210 in case I ever need a longer range however I can't find the CPE210 in the TP-Link store. Must I purchase this elsewhere? Or would it be best to purchase an omni-directional outdoor antenna for improved range? If so, is the 12dBi or 15dBi the proper antenna to use? Thanks again!
Options
2015-08-16 00:42:48
CPE210 is new so it has and will has more and more features as you can see there are beta firmware keep releasing in the beta subforum.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-CPE210-300Mbps-dual-polarized-directional/dp/B00P4JKQGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439656912&sr=8-1&keywords=CPE210

In your case, both CPE210 (9dbi) and TL-WA7210N(12dbi) are good enough for 1 mile with their built-in antennas. And I don't suggest to add an omni-directional antenna because omni-antenna emits the power into 360 degrees horizontally so its actual range will be much more shorter than the built-in antenna even if it has the same gain or high gain. Let alone that CPE210 has no reserved interfaces for external antenna.
Options
2015-08-16 01:11:12
Awesome! What type of all-weather cable do I need and is there a maximum cable length I should not exceed? My Time Capsule can use either USB or Ethernet.
Options
2015-08-17 03:44:13
60m max of UTP/SFTP 4 pairs 24awg cables are recommended... 2pairs cable or more than 60m wont support POE..
Options
2015-08-17 04:18:05
Thank you MarHazK. I'm not knowledgeable about cables. I think that is an ethernet cable but does that mean Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a or another type of ethernet cable? I'll only need about 5m so it's good to know I won't exceed the maximum length.
Options
2015-08-17 08:47:48

3Griffs wrote

Thank you MarHazK. I'm not knowledgeable about cables. I think that is an ethernet cable but does that mean Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a or another type of ethernet cable? I'll only need about 5m so it's good to know I won't exceed the maximum length.

yep.. cat5,cat5e and cat6+ (cat6, cat6a, etc) UTP/SFTP 4 pairs 24awg ethernet/LAN cables.. but its up to u to choose either u want cat5 or cat5e or cat6.. for 1 GBps+ transfer rate between your outdoor devices to your PC or hub, use cat6+. for common (most company using) at 10/100MBps transfer rate, use cat5e.. however, old version is cat5..

UTP (unshielded) cable is cheap, even I also using it..
SFTP (shielded) cable is expensive but useful for outdoor wifi where the devices are installed at the higher place (for ground-lightning purpose)

and the most important is, its 4 Pair-type of ethernet cable.. coz only 4-pair ethernet cable supports PoE (Power over Ethernet)..
Options
2015-08-17 09:42:45
Perfect! I'm going to use SFTP 4 pair Cat5e. Thank you so very much for explaining this!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1447

Replies: 8