Campus Area WIFI network / CPE210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-01 13:27:14
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello Good Day !

I found TP-Link CPE210 is an impressive product: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-37_CPE210.html

I’m planning to implement this product in a large campus. However, I’ve some queries to understand this product:

The campus, I’m planning to implement is approx. 12 sq. km (4 km long and 3 km wide). The campus has 55 small and large buildings. ICT office is at the midpoint of the campus and LOS is clear from every point.

1. Can I implement campus area WIFI network only using CPE 210 ?
2. What can be implementation scenario or wireless network diagram (mode of devices i.e Client router)?
3. This device supports b/g/n ? I can directly connect through my laptop’s wireless interface, right ?
4. This is a sectoral antenna, right ? How many devices do I need to cover 360 degree ?
5. How many devices it may require to cover whole campus? Any approximate idea ?

Please waiting for the response.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Campus Area WIFI network / CPE210
2015-09-01 15:37:23
If you want to extend your WIFI inside the house, it's impossible, barriers such as walls are WIFI killers, you also need to deploy an indoor router/AP inside you office/house, better connect it to outdoor CPE210 with network cable.

2. What can be implementation scenario or wireless network diagram (mode of devices i.e Client router)?
This depends on your requirement, both AP+Client and AP+ AP Client Router are feasible in long distance scenario

3. This device supports b/g/n ? I can directly connect through my laptop’s wireless interface, right ?
They are compatible, while since wireless communication is bidirectional, I don't think your laptop is powerful enough to talk back in a long distance with AP, besides, you also need to consider ACK timeout issue, refer to: www.tp-link.com/en/faq-907.html

4. This is a sectoral antenna, right ? How many devices do I need to cover 360 degree ?
It's directional antenna which can cover 60 degree, so I think at least you need to use 6 unit to cover 360 degree

5. How many devices it may require to cover whole campus? Any approximate idea ?
Hard to evaluate, this need a filed test. Anyway, based on the item 3 and item 4 above, if you want to cover every corner in this area, I think you will need to set up a lot of access point towers distributed at different places in this area to ensure the clients can hear and talk back to. And that is also how mobile operators deploy their mobile networks in most cities.
Options
2015-09-01 20:26:03
My advise, hire a consultant.
this is a large area where you need network administration, aka Mikrotik RB, sector antennas, also ThunderCache or HandyCache if you want to go free.
this project is way over your head.
Just think, you deploy 10 210s or 20 or any number you like, your ISP delivers e.g. 20 Megas, you deployed the network, your are happy, everyone has congratulated you, you are the man of the hour, a kid comes into campus with his Smartphone or Tablet, he starts to stream video, drains your 20 Megas, the rest of the network will collapse, that's the result of no administration on a network.
Options
2015-09-02 11:50:47
1.If you want to cover both indoor and outdoor,you should place CPE210 to work on the AP Client Router mode to provide internet access to the house.In this case you couldn't use CPE only but an extra router/AP.And in the open air,it requests you to provide engouh CPE210 on the tower to cover every possible area.
2.The typical scenario is:AP)))(((AP Client Router---router---device(the connection method of device to the router depends on the router) .
3.CPE210 is compatible with 802.11b/g/n.In the open air,you are able to search the AP's SSID while I think it impossible to connect to it in a laptop since the AP is in the far distance.The device is not power enough.
4.There are Omni-directional antenna products.A TL-ANT2415MS provide 15dBi of 90 degree signal coverage which you may need 4 for cover 360 degree.
5.It's rash to estimate how many CPEs will be engouh.To deploy such application require a detailed project with field test.It's helpful for you to connect to the engineer.
PS:Clear LOS doesn't means a high quality circumstance for wireless communication.You can google some information about Fresnel zone
Options
2015-09-02 16:45:11

winstar wrote

If you want to extend your WIFI inside the house, it's impossible, barriers such as walls are WIFI killers, you also need to deploy an indoor router/AP inside you office/house, better connect it to outdoor CPE210 with network cable.

This depends on your requirement, both AP+Client and AP+ AP Client Router are feasible in long distance scenario

They are compatible, while since wireless communication is bidirectional, I don't think your laptop is powerful enough to talk back in a long distance with AP, besides, you also need to consider ACK timeout issue, refer to: www.tp-link.com/en/faq-907.html

It's directional antenna which can cover 60 degree, so I think at least you need to use 6 unit to cover 360 degree

Hard to evaluate, this need a filed test. Anyway, based on the item 3 and item 4 above, if you want to cover every corner in this area, I think you will need to set up a lot of access point towers distributed at different places in this area to ensure the clients can hear and talk back to. And that is also how mobile operators deploy their mobile networks in most cities.

Thanks for your reply.

How'd you plan for this network ?

I'd just like to implement all outdoor devices. Or a mesh network using least devices.
Options
2015-09-02 17:28:57
Sorry for that...this requires a filed test, you’d better consult with some experienced network constructors to help you for such a large project...

Options
2015-09-03 22:31:05
wow !!

Seems implementation is very complicated.

Thanks for your assistance.
Options