Which CPE is better as a hotspot device for city 510 or 210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-02 14:48:53
Model : CPE510

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I need to provide wifi for a city as part of my college project [10 km directional].
These are my doubts.
[*]Which device is appropriate 510 or 210.
[*]Can I make it possible with a single device.
[*]Does mobile and laptop devices can access wifi directly from the CPE without any other receiver's.
[*]How much range can i expect if i use a single device for transmission kept in a height of 90 meters
[*]Can mobile devices able to access wifi from this height.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Which CPE is better as a hotspot device for city 510 or 210
2015-09-02 18:02:04
CPE510 is 5GHz only. CPE210 is 2.4GHz only.

You should know you are raising a BIG question...And there is no pretty successful cases in the world if you have google.
There is reasons why it is so difficult to provide Wi-Fi for a whole city..

Can I make it possible with a single device.

How many base stations do you think the mobile vendors have built up in order to deliver mobile signal for citizens....At least 4 directional base stations per 200 meters in high density area, I bet.
Wi-Fi's available distance is even much shorter than mobile signals.

Does mobile and laptop devices can access wifi directly from the CPE without any other receiver's.

The terminal devices must stay very closed to the AP to ensure stability, not farther than 100 meters for most cases.
When terminal amount increase, interference will become disaster..
Options
2015-09-02 20:10:05

wifiisp wrote

Can I make it possible with a single device.

by this question, it is clear, this is out of your league
Options
outdoor wifi hotspot for city
2015-09-04 18:20:27
I was curious by seeing the product specification of tp-link CPE 510 stated a data transfer range distance of 15 km .
That's why i posted such a doubt to the forum.
So do this device really have a range of 15km. ?
or is this range is only applicable to point to point connection only[not as a hotspot]
Options
2015-09-04 21:14:09

wifiisp wrote

So do this device really have a range of 15km. ?
or is this range is only applicable to point to point connection only[not as a hotspot]

I have never seen a device on the market for 15 Kms. Hotspot, even if there is one, wrong approach, there is no Client (Smartphones, Tablets or Laps) that can talk back 15 Kms.
I had tested 7.2 Kms. with 510 on PTP, works flawless.
Options
2015-09-04 22:22:30
Thank you for your valuable advice.
it helped me a lot.
So that device will be useful only for long range transmission and then i should place enough number of wifi routers and wifi extenders in between the CPE and laptop or other client side devices .
for a nice network.
Is that correct?
Options
2015-09-04 23:02:21
unless you have the money and time to waste for this, keep going.
There are no repeaters involved in this, do link with 510s, and deploy 510s too on top of homes and businesses, on AP-Client-Router mode
From there, download Lan cable into homes and connect any cheap router like 740 with DHCP disable to act as a AP.
I remind you this is way over your head, it's a time and money waste, up to you if you want to play this game.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1565

Replies: 6