CPE210 extending EAP220 hotspot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-10-05 19:29:58
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi !

I would like to create a hotspot with some eap220. Can anybody tell me if it will be possible to extend the hotspot range outdoor using a CPE210 ?

I need it to be transparent for the user. Same SSID and no disconnections.

Thank you for your help !
Options
15 Reply
Re:CPE210 extending EAP220 hotspot
2015-10-06 02:01:10

chs wrote

create a hotspot with some eap220. Can anybody tell me if it will be possible to extend the hotspot range outdoor using a CPE210 ?
!

Elaborate please
you will add the eap220s
or do you already have them deployed, thats indoors, and for outdoors you want to add 210s
how many eap220s you have or you will have
how many 210s you plan to add
how the eap220 and the 210 will connect, wire or wireless
as you can see, you do not provide info. so this becomes a guessing game
Options
2015-10-07 06:33:10
Hi danymarc,

I still don't have any of them.
I have to connect 2 eap220 indoor and activate the hotspot portal. I can connect them wire or wireless.
I need to extend the same hotspot portal outdoor. The cpe210 will be close enough to receive the wireless signal of one of the two eap220, but I can / prefer connect it wired to the red (not directly to the eap220).

Sorry for my english, and many thanks for your help !
Options
2015-10-09 09:13:44
The information you provide puzzle me a lot.
There is only a Ethernet port(apart from a console port) on EAP, that means you can only setup CPE210 in repeater/AP Client router/Client mode to extend the network.
However, your purpose is to wired connect the CPE210, in this way the CPE210 is used as an AP. There's nothing to do with the EAP.
So please make clear of your demand and provide the topology if possible.

PS: When you configure a CPE210 in repeater mode to extend EAP hotspot, devices connecting to CPE210 is not asked for a portal authentication.
Options
2015-10-10 02:30:35
Hi stupidbird,

Thank you for your help. And sorry if my question is not clear.

The EAP seems to be a good solution for my needs, and it is available in my country where there is not a big choice in that range of price and efficiency. I would like to create a secure hotpsot with 2 or may be 3 EAP's. I think I'm ok with that part of the problem.

Now I need to extend the hotspot outdoot. So to be clear, is it possible to do that with a CPE210 ? If yes, how (wired or not, and in wich mode : repeater, bridge...) ?

- I can install the CPE close enough to receive the EAP wifi signal
- I need the devices connecting to the CPE to be asked for the hotspot portal
- I need everything to be "transparent" for the user. Once he is connected to the hotspot, he can move indoor / outdoor without being asked to connect again

Hope that's clear enough, and not to stupid ;)

Regards
Options
2015-10-10 14:06:24
Is it possible to do that with a CPE210 ?
Yes, it's not difficult to extend the hotspot signal of EAP outdoor in your case.

I can install the CPE close enough to receive the EAP wifi signal
I need everything to be "transparent" for the user. Once he is connected to the hotspot, he can move indoor / outdoor without being asked to connect again
Wired connect LAN0 of CPE to a power adapter and setup as repeater mode to extend the hotspot from EAP.

I need the devices connecting to the CPE to be asked for the hotspot portal
Using the configuration above, only the first device connecting to CPE will be ask for portal authentication. None of the later devices is requested to do this process.

If I were you, I will setup CPE in AP mode to cover outdoor area of a different SSID.
Because there is the mechanism that when you are in bad wireless condition. the mobile device will shift to another AP with stronger signal strength if the device has ever connected to it before and remember the password.
No extra operation is needed to me.
Options
2015-10-12 04:23:15
Thank you again !

Using the configuration above, only the first device connecting to CPE will be ask for portal authentication. None of the later devices is requested to do this process.
I fear to don't understand exactly what you mean. All the users will be asked to enter their voucher code to the hotspot portal once they try to join the CPE ssid signal right ?

[COLOR=#333333]If I were you, I will setup CPE in AP mode to cover outdoor area of a different SSID.
Same question. In AP mode the CPE can extend the AEP hotspot ? If that's right the different SSID is not a problem.

Regards
Options
2015-10-12 09:06:46
1. No. I mean only the first client connecting to CPE will be asked to authentication. The second and later can skip this process to the network.
2. Since you have to provide a internet access for the EAPs, you can wired connect the CPE to it, too. That's what I mention above. Use one internet access for both EAP and CPE.
Options
2015-10-12 15:02:42
Thanks stupidbird and Chs
Your comments have helped me solve my problem. :)
Options
2015-10-13 22:00:27
I'm still confused about that point :

1. No. I mean only the first client connecting to CPE will be asked to authentication. The second and later can skip this process to the network.

Because I need all users to be redirected to the portal auth the first time they want to join the hotspot.

I'm really sorry for that lost of time, and thank you again for your patience with my noob questions...
Options
2015-10-14 11:31:28
Sorry for my expression. My hornor to help.

Suppose that there are 3 devices number by (1)(2)(3).
If they all connect to the CPE(repeater mode) from (1) to (3) one by one, only device (1) will redirect to portal.
(2) and (3) can go surfing on the internet directly.
It's so strange, but I have ever met the situation as above.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2342

Replies: 15