Outdoor AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Outdoor AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Outdoor AP
Outdoor AP
2015-11-12 03:34:14
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello all,

I have found this CPE unit #CPE210. Not exactly know how CPE differs from a regular AP. I mainly need those units to do two things. Allow me to connect one or two IP cameras remotely and repeat the signal to another such unit further away, and so on. Will the throughput diminish from AP to AP? If to, would it be better to use a dual band?

Thanks,

-Ron
Options
16 Reply
Re:Outdoor AP
2015-11-12 09:21:15
CPE210))) (((CPE210-----------IP camera, this is ok if your IP camera supports 24V passive PoE power supply.

How long is the distance between two CPE210? Is there any throughput requirement from IP camera?
The throughput between two CPE210 depends much on the distance,interference,etc. Besides, CPE510 which works in 5GHz support longer distance and higher throughput, since 5GHz is much cleaner than 2.4GHz.
Options
Outdoor AP
2015-11-12 17:13:55

winstar wrote

CPE210))) (((CPE210-----------IP camera, this is ok if your IP camera supports 24V passive PoE power supply.

How long is the distance between two CPE210? Is there any throughput requirement from IP camera?
The throughput between two CPE210 depends much on the distance,interference,etc. Besides, CPE510 which works in 5GHz support longer distance and higher throughput, since 5GHz is much cleaner than 2.4GHz.

Okay, I'll check the support of the cameras I'll be reviewing. Not sure what you mean by the throughput requirement of the camera.

Distance between two CPE210 shall be no more than 100 m at the very most, and pretty much line-of-sight through street within the campground.
Options
2015-11-16 17:34:13
@Ronald

Don't repeat the signal for your case. It does diminish from AP to AP enormously.

If I get it right, you are trying to set up wireless surveillance system, transmitting several IP camera's stream back to the control room through wireless.

Way1: (I prefer way1)
You can do it with directional APs like CPE510.
control room router/switch ------- CPE510[AP] )))) ((( CPE510[client] --node1-- CPE510[AP] )))) (((((( CPE510[client] --node2

At node1 and node2 you connect your IP cameras to the ethernet port of CPE.
At node1 the two CPE510 are back-to-back installed to re-transmit the network, rather than simply repeating the signal.

Way2:
You can use dualband repeater to do this since you said it is 100 meters only.
control room router/switch ------- 2.4GHz AP )))) ((( dualband reapter at node1 )))) (((((( 5GHz AP as client --node2

the dualband repeater at node1 can be RE580D or RE210, both of them can work inhighspeed mode.
High speed mode allows the repeater to use one band to connect to the front AP, while using the other band to broadcast a independent signal for node2.

You can find TP-LINK's dualband AC repeaters here:
http://www.tplink.com/en/products/list-10.html
Options
2015-11-18 00:04:31
Since the dual-band repeaters listed are for indoor only, I have no choice but to go with Way1.

In one area, there will be many trees to go across. Wouldn't it be better to go with 2.4 Ghz?

As for the back-to-back connection, I presume I'd have to connect a patch cable between the AP's LAN1 port and the Client's LAN0 port, right? And thereafter, connect my PoE camera to the Client's LAN1 port? And if I want to connect more than one camera at that node, use a PoE switch?

What if the cameras cannot handle passive PoE?
Options
2015-11-18 10:34:48

Firstly you should check the PoE type of your IP Camera. Use a standard PoE switch you couldn't power a passive PoE device. Vice versa.
What's worse, if you use a passive poe with high voltage adpater to power a device with standard poe, that device may get broken.
Options
2015-11-18 10:55:20
1. 2.4GHz has a better performance to passthrough barriers than 5GHz, while it always has a more severe interference. No matter 2.4GHz or 5GHz, it's hard to evaluate whether it works when there are many trees to go across, these barriers will decrease Wi-Fi signal a lot. So which is better depends on your real environment. While if you install these CPEs higher to avoid the trees, I think either of them is ok, 100 meters is just a piece of cake.

2. LAN0 on CPE is a PoE port which need to be connected to the Passive PoE adapter's PoE port. Apart from it, there are two more other LAN ports ('LAN' in PoE adapter, 'LAN1' in CPE) which can be used to connect to other devices such as another CPE or IP camera. Only 'LAN1' in CPE can use PoE passthrough to power another 24V passive PoE IP camera.

3. Whether need a
PoE switch for IP camera depends a lot. At first you need to make clear what's the power supply method on IP camera, if it supports 24V passive PoE, you can use the LAN1 port on CPE to power IP camera, if it supports standard PoE, then you can use PoE switch for power supply. One thing you need to know is that passive PoE on CPE and standard PoE on PoE switch are totally different methods, they are not compatible with each other. refer to FAQ: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-906.html
Options
2015-11-19 04:44:16
Hi @stupid bird (no offense),

I have not purchased any IP cameras yet, but I just called my sales rep at Tri-Ed and he said he's never heard of IP cameras with a Passive PoE connection. Searching Google didn't seem to bring up anything either. So, I'm confused!

Anyhow, based on your drawing, I presume the TP-Link CPE unit need a power injector to power it. Does the unit come with it, or does it have to be purchased separately? If so, what model #?
Options
2015-11-19 04:57:21

Ronald McDonald wrote

Hi stupid bird (no offense)

Its @stupibird not the way you wrote it, you can fix it by editing the post
And your Salesman might be from Mars, Google is your best friend
Google ip cameras with poe and see
Options
2015-11-19 08:40:34
The power adapter comes along with CPE unit, you don't need to buy it separately.
Refer to QIG, you will know the details: http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/CPE510_V1_QIG.pdf
Options
2015-11-19 09:15:22

Ronald McDonald wrote

Hi stupid bird (no offense),

I have not purchased any IP cameras yet, but I just called my sales rep at Tri-Ed and he said he's never heard of IP cameras with a Passive PoE connection. Searching Google didn't seem to bring up anything either. So, I'm confused!

Anyhow, based on your drawing, I presume the TP-Link CPE unit need a power injector to power it. Does the unit come with it, or does it have to be purchased separately? If so, what model #?

As winstar said, you needn't to buy it separately.
Is there any IP Camera with Passive PoE I'm not sure. But it's common that IP Camera can be powered by DC and standard PoE at the same time.
Therefore, you can add a PoE switch between the IP Camera and CPE, or you need to provide an extra power supply.

@danymarc Is there any mistake in #6? It's kind of you to help point it out.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2725

Replies: 16

Related Articles