CPE210 pre-purchase questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-19 08:18:41
Model : CPE210

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello guys, first of all congratulations on this great community here.

I am new to this networking thing and would like to ask a few questions before buying.

Here is my scenario:

I have a WiFi router (with internet) at my home and my friend lives around 100 mtrs. far. My friend wants to connect to my WiFi to access internet but he gets only 1 bar (sometimes none) outside of his house so that makes it useless.

After researching I think I found the solution in CPE210 (hoping I'm not wrong :o).

Now my questions are:
[*]Can only 1 CPE210 (at my friends house) do the magic?
[*]What operation modes (repeater/client/bridge) can be used to connect to my WiFi router from his house.
[*]How far can CPE210 connect to WiFi router/source in Repeater, Client, Bridge modes respectively?
[*]Older version like 5210G used to support only WEP encryption in repeater mode, does CPE210 support all Encryptions in all modes or they are still unsupported?
Options
8 Reply
Re:CPE210 pre-purchase questions
2015-12-19 21:24:07
@Dtech welcome to the Forum, and you are a smart man, asking questions before buying.
100 mts its a piece of cake, and I do not recommend any of the modes and models you suggest besides 210, there are scenarios you can chose from
1-place 210 outside your house, and set on AP mode, facing to your friends house, that way you boost the signal
2-place 210 outside your friends home, set on Client mode, Client will only provide Internet, via Lan cable you have to add cheapest router 740 or 741, and set AP mode, disabling DHCP and connecting the Lan cable coming from 210 to any of the ethernet ports (the yellow ones) of router, or connect to Wan port by setting that extra router in Static IP to avoid double Nat on your network.
Options
2015-12-19 22:14:33

danymarc wrote

@Dtech welcome to the Forum, and you are a smart man, asking questions before buying.
100 mts its a piece of cake, and I do not recommend any of the modes and models you suggest besides 210, there are scenarios you can chose from
1-place 210 outside your house, and set on AP mode, facing to your friends house, that way you boost the signal
2-place 210 outside your friends home, set on Client mode, Client will only provide Internet, via Lan cable you have to add cheapest router 740 or 741, and set AP mode, disabling DHCP and connecting the Lan cable coming from 210 to any of the ethernet ports (the yellow ones) of router, or set to Wan port by setting that extra router in Static IP to avoid double Nat on your network.

Totally agree
Options
2015-12-19 22:54:13

ghost wrote

Totally agree

Hi @ghost, pointing that if he deploys scenario 2, Client, plus Router in Static ip, to provide wireless at @Dtech friends home, he must talk to his friend about never to make the mistake of connecting to the Ethernet ports or he will lauch a second dhcp server on the network, setting Router to AP mode it's the easiest, but his friends bad internet practice will be @Dtechs too, viruses on his friend will be his too, and some hrs. of the day his network will be in a excessive Broadcast scenario, best deploy last device Router in Static ip
Options
Thank you so much guys for your valuable inputs
2015-12-20 01:57:45
We can only go for 2nd scenario which is CPE210 at his house for some reasons.

>> 100 mts its a piece of cake, and I do not recommend any of the modes and models you suggest besides 210, there are scenarios you can chose from
Could you please tell me the reason why shouldn't I use any other mode Bridge or Repeater?

I think in Repeater and Bridge mode he can connect to CPE210 wirelessly without setting up any extra router/access point.

Question: If for some reasons he moves 100 mtr far (which makes the distance 200 mtr) he can still connect to my WiFi right?

Question: Older version like 5210G used to support only WEP encryption in repeater mode, does CPE210 support all Encryptions in all modes or they are still unsupported?

To Forum Moderators: My next question doesn't particularly includes CPE210 but could be a solution to my problem, so if this question needs to be moved to other forum please do so. Thank you.

I thought of one more solution for this problem which doesn't include CPE210 rather it includes TL-WA730RE with high gain outdoor .

Can this be done using the above combination we well? I am asking this because I already have this repeater with detachable antenna, we will just need to buy a high gain antenna.

Thank you again guys for your all valuable inputs.
Options
2015-12-20 02:18:49

DTech wrote

I thought of one more solution for this problem which doesn't include CPE210 rather it includes TL-WA730RE.html"]TL-WA730RE
Can this be done using the above combination we well? I am asking this because I already have this repeater with detachable antenna, we will just need to buy a high gain antenna.

now you are cutting corners, 730 is a well known device with a respectable reputation of flaws, you are free to beilieve what you read on the web, at the end you will end up buying a CPE and you can use 730 as door holder, of course you can flash any TL router with third party software and set as repeater (aka Client) but Im not going to discuss that here, there are forums for.
and 100 or 200 mts. its to much for a 4Mb device, and its not outdoor, of course you can cut corners, there are many solutions, but at the end you spend the value of a outdoor CPE or more.
Options
2015-12-20 02:51:20
@danymarc

thanks for the reply.

We are going for CPE210 and making it future proof as well so that when/if he moves around 200 mtrs far he wouldn't have any problem.

Now just for curiosity sake, if we had chosen a repeater with high gain directional antenna, could this be done?
Options
2015-12-20 03:25:17

DTech wrote

Now just for curiosity sake, if we had chosen a repeater with high gain directional antenna, could this be done?

all could be done, the thing is, do you know repeaters divide throughput, once you set Repeater, you are paying a 50% data penalty rate, with scenario #2 Client you get 100% throughput, add to the 50% data penalty rate, you will need to make a box or buy one to deploy outdoor, plus outdoor antenna, pigtail, and cable, in the mater of cable every mt. has a signal loss, with all that money spent, you end up paying more than what you are going to pay for a 210, and will get 50% of the internet (throughput), of course you can avoid the 50% penalty by instead of setting i.e. the 730 in Client mode oudoor, then add a 740 router indoor, more money spent, like I posted all can be done, just ask, is it worth it.
and to answer your curiosity, any repeater, model does not matter
Options
2015-12-20 07:08:22
@danymarc

Thanks mate, just ordered one 210 from amazon hoping to receive in two days.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1103

Replies: 8