Establishing a basic setup to accomodate out-building

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-27 03:01:13
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

hey folks, non-techie writing here for a solution. I use a TP 300N router here in my house, which works fine. Router is in the middle of the unit. There's a detached garage apartment about 30 feet from the main house which needs to be able to connect and the TPL range extender inside it isn't helping much. A tech friend suggested getting the 2.4gHZ outdoor antenna. If this might work want to know how to connect to and where to position the antenna. Or is it a question of replacing the "ears" on the existing router.:confused:
Options
1 Reply
Re:Establishing a basic setup to accomodate out-building
2015-12-28 18:23:41
The repeater doesn't perform well since it also can't receive good wireless signal by itself.
It's not recommended to replace the 'ears' on your router, there are two ways as below: :o

1. Installed a outdoor AP such as CPE210 outside, wired it to your root router, and let it face to your garage to provide Wi-Fi signal there.
2. 30 feet is not too long, why not install a SOHO AP such as TL-WA801ND in your
garage to provide Wi-Fi signal, and connect it to your root AP through network cable.

I'd suggest you to choose option2, the performance might be better than option1.
As you know, walls are Wi-Fi killers, besides, wireless communication is bidirectional, so even if CPE210 can provide a good Wi-Fi signal inside your
garage, your client devices might not talk back to CPE210 with a good signal, so it's hard to evaluate the real performance.
With option2, the signal will be good, and you just need a network cable between router and TL-WA801ND.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 435

Replies: 1