CPE510 cannot find any WIFI signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE510 cannot find any WIFI signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
PE510 cannot find any WIFI signal
2016-01-10 16:21:49

R1D2 wrote

@ralcubierre, setting client mode disables the wireless card, while survey still works. So check the
"enabled" checkbox in the wireless settings. Then press 'Survey' next to it to see the APs in range.
Make sure you have a+n mode selected for the survey. If it still does not work, reset the device, let
everything at the defaults and check survey first after switching to client mode without changing any
other setting before.

@danymarc, of course we have 5 GHz band in Germany, it has been approved by regulation authorities
in whole Europe since mid-2002.

Thanks for the hint. I think I tried everything, having a+n mode, "enabling" checkbox in the wireless settings, reseting the device, but I did not manage that the Survey shows any of the 5Ghz signals present in the room (and that you can see in the smartphone screen shot). Maybe there is a certain combination of steps that activates it, but the instructions seem pretty simple. Maybe it cannot see Cisco APs and other type of APs. But I gave up, I was waiting a high-end solution for a certain project and the impresion has been negative.
Options
Re:CPE510 cannot find any WIFI signal
2016-01-10 17:55:25

ralcubierre wrote

I gave up

Your decision

@R1D2 please answer post #11
@danymarc, of course we have 5 GHz band in Germany, it has been approved by regulation authorities
in whole Europe since mid-2002.

@R1D2 can you link me to where in this thread or any other, I posted any about 5Ghz in Germany, that inspired your post #14 in this forum, to mention me.
In your personal appreciation
Options
2016-01-10 18:52:34

danymarc wrote

Your decision

@R1D2 please answer post #11

@R1D2 can you link me to where in this thread or any other, I posted any about 5Ghz in Germany, that inspired your post #14 in this forum, to mention me.
In your personal appreciation

How is:

YOU ARE WRONG
the last screen shows wifi signals cause is a 2.4 device, that's a smartphone, 510 is a 5Ghz device and you don't have 5Ghz. SSIDs in your area only 2.4 Ghz SSIDs.

meant? How can you be sure that "he does not have 5GHz" and "SSIDs are only 2.4GHz in his area" (which is Germany as one can see easily)? How can you know that his phone "is a 2.4 device"?

And most important: Why are you often having such an aggressive attitude against people you don't know in more than one post here in this forum? Your answers are often helpful, but why do you presume to know even ralcubierre's phone, area and which SSIDs there are? Sorry, but that's IMHO no adequate way to answer to people who come to this forum to get help!
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2016-01-10 21:02:23

R1D2 wrote

1-meant? How can you be sure that "he does not have 5GHz" and "SSIDs are only 2.4GHz in his area" (which is Germany as one can see easily)? How can you know that his phone "is a 2.4 device"?
2-but why do you presume to know even ralcubierre's phone, area and which SSIDs there are? Sorry, but that's IMHO no adequate way to answer to people who come to this forum to get help!

1-@R1D2 is your humble opinion, but anyone who has been around forums for a while will notice the many contradictions. While it can be frustrating, that is the way it is. This website is maintained by Tp-Link, and composed of users, who are separate from TL. there is no control over us, and at least they let us post things as we see things(which is not always the way that they see things) and don't try to control us. In a perfect world our roles would compliment each other, but if you can find such a place, I suggest you move there.
This is what it is. And no one is interested in hearing you bitch about it. Especially if you expect others to change things for you. If you want things done differently, then do the work. No one here owes you or anyone anything.
2-Newbies need to understand quite a bit, and much of it is not intuitive. before touching a device, it is IMPORTANT TO READ THE FAQs
3-don't quote the word Germany in answers to me, there is not one post where I wrote about the country Germany, We visited Cologne Germany, years ago, attending to Photokina fair with my family, and we had a great time, people was nice to us. was not easy to understand the transportation trains, people helped us a lot to get to other sites, we do not use trains in Acapulco Mexico, was a very nice experience, Photography is my business, Wi-Fi my hobby. The only thing we missed was Düsseldorf, Europe have had heavy rain that year and Düsseldorf was flooded, we really wanted to go.
4-As I had posted and will post as many times need it
This is not a guessing game, forumers need to provide info. I'm not a Guess Teller
@R1D2 my nick is on the left of every post I participate, when you see it there is no obligation on your side to read me, make your life nicer, ignore me
I don't presume any, I help from the interpretation I get from what forumers had posted, this Thread was solved on post #2 by @bird, @ralcubierre wanted a magic solution, he never posted the network scenario on post #1, this is not a saving account, newbies need to provide all the info scince post #1
Not strange he gave up
Options
2016-01-11 03:38:14

danymarc wrote

3-don't quote the word Germany in answers to me, there is not one post where I wrote about the country Germany,

Sorry, then this was a mis-understanding from your claim "cause is a 2.4 device, that's a smartphone" (yes, it's a smartphone and no, it's not restricted to use 2.4 GHz) together with "SSIDs in your area only 2.4 Ghz SSIDs" (no, there are not only 2.4 GHz SSIDs, there are also 5 GHz as ralcubierre wrote). But I did get it by now, you meant "the place where ralcubierre currently is", not the country. Sorry, not everyone has english as native language.

This is not a guessing game, forumers need to provide info. I'm not a Guess Teller

Exactly, it's not about guessing. Agreed 100%.
Options
2017-05-24 12:23:53
this device has a problem. then you are selecting region it is not connecting as a client. this behavior I have observed with Clien mode, WISP mode and repeater mode. so basically whenever it needs to work as WiFi client.
then I set region to test mode it works. my firmware is
1.3.3 Build 20160705 Rel. 52453

kindly test and update this thread.
Options
Re:Re:CPE510 cannot find any WIFI signal
2018-10-11 14:47:33

Hi,

I have the same issue with CPE510 V3

i tryed every imaginable configuration ! 

I have lenovo professional laptop and S9 and many others .. no WIFI signal and dont see any other in the survey !

And dont found how to change region !

If some one have an older firmware !

I think it was a bad choice !

Options
2019-10-06 12:02:38

@DODODO 

I have some real empathy with @ralcubierre and you DODODO, as I have just spent about 4 weeks and various trips up poles swapping out CPE210 and CPE510 units, trying to get a bridge working correctly.

Obviously the CPE210 survey AP's fine, as they are 2.4GHz, but when I have tried the CPE510, they 'see' nothing, except for another CPE510.

It was not until I read this thread about changing from UK to Test-mode, that I then could see all the SSIDs I needed to (from other than a CPE510).

To me, this is a real issue of poor quality from TP-link.  If you set up a unit correctly (UK location in my case), it should see other correctly set-up units without difficulty.  I have 6 other TP link AP's (EAP225's and 115s), which are also set up for UK, but are not visible by the CPE510 unless I choose Test mode.  

I hope your issue is just this DODODO.  I do find the new EAP225 outdoor a much better proposition in relation to mesh and AP handover, if that helps you select the right unit.

Matt

Options
2019-10-06 13:17:40 - last edited 2019-10-06 14:46:48

MattNZ wrote

To me, this is a real issue of poor quality from TP-link.  If you set up a unit correctly (UK location in my case), it should see other correctly set-up units without difficulty.  I have 6 other TP link AP's (EAP225's and 115s), which are also set up for UK, but are not visible by the CPE510 unless I choose Test mode.  

I hope your issue is just this DODODO.  I do find the new EAP225 outdoor a much better proposition in relation to mesh and AP handover, if that helps you select the right unit.

First of all, your claim that »the CPE510 can not see other APs in a WiFi survey« is terribly wrong. It does very well recognize all other APs using a 5 GHz outdoor channel which fall inside the CPE510's antenna beam width. 

Second, the EAP225-Outdoor also needs to be restricted to 5 GHz outdoor channels for outdoor use  (in menu Advanced Wireless SettingsRoaming Setting5 GHz, option »Channel Limit«) to comply with EU regulations, else you could get into serious trouble with local regulatory authorities. This option limits WiFi surveys with EAP225-Outdoor to outdoor channels, too, albeit the EAP will probably show more APs using outdoor channels due to its wider antenna beam width (which is 360º compared to 45º of a CPE510).

Third, the EAP225-Outdoor has been designed to spread the WiFi signal in an omnidirectional way a few 100 meters, while a CPE510 concentrates RF energy in a strictly directional way over several kilometers.

Of course, a correctly configured oudoor AP will never ever see any indoor-only channel-set APs (U-NII-1 and U-NII-2A bands), no matter which model or brand. Some indoor APs can be configured to use outdoor channels (U-NII-2C band, this is allowed also indoors), but indoor-only channels must not be used outdoors. It's illegal in EU regions to do so (e.g. in »Test« mode).

Both APs are designed for different use cases and both APs are indeed very well performing in such different use cases.

Proof:

BTW: this is a very old thread from 2015 - firmware for CPE510 has changed many times meanwhile (but even the very first firmware for CPE510 was able to do WiFi surveys correctly)

Options
2019-10-06 15:00:42

@R1D2 

Thanks for the reply.

Your comments, and my subsequent research in trying to understand them have greatly increased my knowledge of Wifi channels etc.

I am well aware of the difference between the EAP and CPE uses and technology, but I am (was) not familiar with the 'outdoor' channel allocation methodolgy you refer to.

Does DFS relate to this in some manner?  I assume so, in the channels above 5260, or even in the 5480+ zone.

Also, there is no reference to Outdoor in the 510, so unless you know about this, and you have followed the set-up wizard, you will still end up seeing nothing on a Wifi survey, (assuming there are no outdoor channel APs in range).

IF a user has to manually select a specific channel or channel set, which you imply relates to local regulations, rather than follow the wizard, then it is not surprising there are many of these postings on this forum, and others, where users cannot 'see' APs.

Yes, they are there, but not visible.  Yes, the hardware works extremely well, along with the software if configured correctly, however it would seem prefectly sensible for the wizard at least to have a question relating to channels or 'outdoor', so users who are not fully aware of the technological intricacies can work through to a resolution.

TP Link advertise the EAP225 to be indoor and outdoor, but don't lead you down a particular path on your need.  I have only just found the 'channel limit' option in the Omada software, (now that you mention it below, so thanks for that).  I see it won't use channels below 5350.

All units have the latest firmware, and they still perform in the same manner, with 'test-mode' selection required to see the AP's I wish to connect to.  Perhaps if the location is set to countries other than the UK, the channel width is different, however I followed the wizard......

Luckily, I am out in the countryside, with no interference, which is why I need this set-up in the first place, so no channel management issues, but with this new learning I shall re-configure.

I stand by my point that this area could be a lot better managed within the software, for users who are not fully knowledgeable and have followed the set-up wizards.  Just a button to show 'further channel scanning' or 'view indoor channels', or the out of channel range APs showing in grey or suchlike, which indicates they are there but configuration is required to access.

IMHO,

Matt

Options
Related Articles