Switch shuts down when connected to modern Asus motherboards

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-06 19:25:43
Model : TL-SG2210P

Hardware Version : 1.0

Firmware Version : V1_150928

ISP :

Hi,

We are using a TL-SG2210P and have come across a strange problem.
The switch has been working fine for a couple of months, however recently we have built some new PC's and they are all modern Skylake computers with Asus boards (3 different motherboard models so far) and if we connect them to the switch, the switch powers off!!! then as soon as you unplug the cable going to the Asus PC it powers back on!

We were even more surprised when it powered off after connecting the Asus computer to one of the main netgear switches in the office. So there wasn't a direct connection to the TP link, it was passing from the Netgear, to the TP link, but no other switches in the office get upset.

Has anyone ever come across this before, or is this sounding faulty.

We have tried a few things, such as disabling PoE on the switch but nothing has made a difference.

Thanks.

EDIT:
As an update, we just managed to make it not shut down on the same network as the PC's by putting a device that doesn't have PoE in-between it and the network.
Options
32 Reply
Re:Switch shuts down when connected to modern Asus motherboards
2016-01-08 14:15:37
It is really really strange!!!
Could you please share us a video? What is more, since we all nerver see such abnormal phenomenon (I guess), you can contact the TP-LINK supporter for help directly.
Options
2016-01-08 20:42:56

Kobe wrote

It is really really strange!!!
Could you please share us a video? What is more, since we all nerver see such abnormal phenomenon (I guess), you can contact the TP-LINK supporter for help directly.

Video created!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIoXnE7tcq8&feature=youtu.be

For the video we showed 1 example of it, where we connected an old computer to the switch on port 1, everything is happy! then we connected a cable to another port that joins the switch to our network via a large Netgear PoE switch.
Then you see it shut down! And the power brick led starts flashing.
Then we disconnect the cable to the office network, and after a while you see all the lights flash and it go back to normal.

If we was to unplug all the new computers that have an Asus board in them from our network, then this problem does not occur!
So I have no idea what the Asus computers have in them that upsets this switch, and only this switch! (also the Asus computers do not need to be switched on, just connected to the LAN to freak this thing out!)
Options
2016-01-11 12:10:35
Hi davidmansfield, I think your test is not rigorous. You connect an old PC to the 2210P, it works fine; and then you connect the switch to the front Netgear PoE switch then the 2210P powered off. But I do not see a direct relation between the failure of the 2210P and the Asus computers. Yes, after diconnecting all the Asus computers from the Netgear PoE switch, all things works fine as you said, but why not do the following simple test: Power on the 2210P and the Asus computers, and then connect the Asus computers to the 2210P to see what will happen.
Options
2016-01-11 17:24:58
Hi Jery, sorry if I didn't make it clear, we have tested the switch simply with nothing connected then pluggning in any of the modern Asus computers and it instantly shuts down, this includes all the new office computers built around Skylake Asus, and 2 staff personal computers brought in that we tested with based on Asus ROG skylake generation boards.

We are 100% confident that the only scenario where it shuts down is Skylake Asus boards and this switch, however we cannot find any other switch that shuts down because of the Asus boards.
I have uploaded a image of the basic scenarios we have tested showing what works and what fails.

Options
2016-01-11 18:57:47
Uh, how amazing it is. So any computer can shut down the 2210P no matter it is a laptop or a desktop computer as long as it is based on Asus ROG skylake generation boards. May I know the model number of these computers and its NIC. And when did you bought this switch? Do you have another 2210P switch? Have you tried to connect the Asus to another 2210P to test?
Options
2016-01-11 19:35:16
Yep, any Asus board that is Skylake generation, the connection there may be the built in Intel I219-V network and LANguard feature. 2 of the boards that cause the problem are the Asus Z170M-Plus & Asus ROG Maximus VIII Genie.
Unfortunately we only have 1 other switch that is TPlink and that works fine, but doesn't have PoE on it, and we do have lots of other makes of switch that do have PoE on and all are ok.
We purchased the switch September 2015 so I am currently speaking with TPlink support about if it is faulty one off, or if its just incompatible with these boards and they are looking into it at the moment.

Apart from this problem we really liked the switch and would get others so we could test, but at the moment as they are 100% un-usable on our office network so we don't want to purchase any more just in case it is a compatibility problem.
Options
2016-07-03 18:22:37
Did anyone ever solve this? I have the exact same issue.
Options
2016-07-05 16:14:33

xonacs wrote

Did anyone ever solve this? I have the exact same issue.

Yes and No!

We worked with TP-Link technical support and discovered that there is an issue that was only able to be resolved by removing the earth connector from the plug on the TP-Link power supply, and voila it works!

Obviously not something you would usually want to do! But it fixed the problem for now so we could use it.

Part of the response from TP-Link in April 2016
After the testing, we have confirmed the conjecture before, the NIC in the Asus motherboard does not isolate the MDI from the frame ground according to the IEEE802.3 requirement. As we said before the power adapter of the TL-SG2210P does not isolate as well and then the incompatible problem happens when they work together. The adapter of the TL-SG2210P and Asus motherboard are both to be blamed for this problem.

We are deeply sorry for that and we have already begin to apply new energy efficiency power adapter which will solve this problem perfectly. Thanks for your understanding in advance!
Options
Annoying
2016-09-25 10:36:39
I just registered because i am having this same issue on one of my desktops using Asus Hero Alpha

Setup is ADSL2+ Modem > pfSense box > Switch (TL-SG2210P) < (Wifi AP) < ethernet clients into Switch

When i connect my main desktop computer to switch,it shuts it's self off and ac power led on adapter goes into blinking mode. I've tried numerous different cables, ports and it only happens with this particular desktop. Those same cables work with other desktops. This desktop uses Intel i219-v.

Nothing worked, i pulled out all the cables, except for ethernet, tried different power points in house, different surge protectors. Updated firmware, turned off PoE, Disable ESD Guard.

For the moment the work around is i plugged the desktop into my WiFI AP ethernet port which is connected to TL-SG2210P
Options
2016-09-25 15:21:43

davidmansfield wrote

We are deeply sorry for that and we have already begin to apply new energy efficiency power adapter which will solve this problem perfectly. Thanks for your understanding in advance!

Is there a chance that TP-Link will offer these new power adapter replacements for people effected with the issue?
Options