Switch shuts down when connected to modern Asus motherboards

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Switch shuts down when connected to modern Asus motherboards

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
32 Reply
Re:Switch shuts down when connected to modern Asus motherboards
2016-10-17 08:44:17
Please contact with the TP-LINK supporter directly for help.
Options
2017-01-06 13:19:04

tonny wrote

Please contact with the TP-LINK supporter directly for help.

Well, I'm not happy.

After two chats back and forth the tplink senior emailed saying along the lines off "we're aware of the issue, don't use it with asus skylake motherboards"

He didn't offer any solution to remedy the problem, either by offering an RMA, replacement, alternative switch or the a/c adapter which remedies problem.

I've spent thousands on Asus skylake clients. I'm not going to buy a new switch, new ethernet adapter card or send this one back if i have to pay postage.

When i buy switches i go for it's features; ports, etc. this switch seemed to fit the bill. There was no printing/specs saying "Doesn't work with ASUS Skylake. Who here buys a switch with thinking "will it work with gigabyte motherboard, asus etc" doubt anyone does.

Cone on TP-Link, you can do better then that.

I contacted the buy place i bought it from, they simply told me bring it back and we will ship it to TP-Link. What is TP-link gonna do about it? Probably nothing and say "working as intended" don't use it with Skylake ASUS. This would involve 3-4 weeks waiting time and an usable switch.

I have a useless switch sitting here doing nothing, because i have to connect another switch to. What a joke and waste of money
Options
2017-01-22 14:07:14
It is the issue coming from power adapter. You could use ask TP-Link support for the new power adapter then it could work. I meet the same issue and solve it by changing new adapter. So maybe you could contact the retailer and ask for the new adapter. That would help you solve your question. [/FONT][FONT=arial]
Options
2017-02-26 18:33:14
Uh, how amazing it is. So any computer can shut down the 2210P no matter it is a laptop or a desktop computer as long as it is based on [COLOR=#333333]Asus ROG skylake generation boards.
Options
2017-03-29 10:20:36
I'm pretty sure this isn't TP-Links fault.

I have an ASUS X370 Prime Pro board here. It shut down my 2210P, so I plugged it into a Cisco/Linksys SRW2008P. It shut that down the same way, but not before letting the magic smoke out of the NIC on the motherboard. Even after the motherboard was fried (ie no carrier on the NIC no matter what it was plugged into), it would still shut down the PoE switches. I wasn't game to plug it into an old Cisco 3550 I have here, and I'm sure as heck not plugging the replacement board into a PoE switch!

These ASUS boards with "LANGUARD" on them seem to have some surge protection devices to GND wired in such a fashion to cause this issue, and as I found out if you plug them into a beefy enough switch that is set up "just wrong", you'll smoke the network adapter on the motherboard.
Options
2017-04-12 07:48:52
"I have an ASUS X370 Prime Pro board here. It shut down my 2210P"

I have the exact same problem . I thought I was going mad , Asked around with a few of my techie mates and they had no idea .

Is there a work around yet ?
Options
2017-04-12 16:12:01

troyww wrote

Is there a work around yet ?

Yep. Don't plug them into a PoE switch. This work-around of cutting the earth pin off, or the use of a floating power supply is insane. The problem is with the ASUS board, and unless a song and dance gets made they'll never do anything about it. Unfortunately it's generally only on their "ricer" grade boards with "surge suppression" on the Ethernet port for marketing reasons :

"ROG engineers modernized the design with advanced signal-coupling technology and premium surface-mount components, which, add protection from power spikes and keep the (Gigabit) Ethernet signal cleaner, reducing the chance of errors. These are normally corrected by error checking mechanisms, but this requires CPU time that could be devoted to your game!"

So, basic twaddle saying our custom circuits make your game less laggy because you won't get errors. Marketing fluff that breaks stuff and has no basis in reality. Unfortunately they also put it on a non-ROG board (the X370 Prime), so those of us that are not into bright red boards with flashy buits get to suffer as well.

If my local store was amenable to it, I'd happily plug board after board into my Cisco switch and flood ASUS with RMAs. Unfortunately I don't think that'll win me any favours.

The work around is to buy a non-ASUS board. Again, this is not TP-Links fault.
Options
2017-04-13 14:18:05
Thanks for the the simple reply . I do not ever expect a response from either TP-Link or Asus from past experience ...
Do other better quality POE switches work with "Lan Guard"
Options
2017-04-13 20:40:04

troyww wrote

Thanks for the the simple reply . I do not ever expect a response from either TP-Link or Asus from past experience ...
Do other better quality POE switches work with "Lan Guard"

Given my Cisco switch made the "Lan Guard" components go up in smoke rendering the entire on-board NIC useless, I'd suggest the answer is *no*. I have some other nice switches here but there's no way I'm risking another motherboard to try it.
When I get a moment I'll have a closer look at what the ASUS board is doing. I have an idea it's not properly isolated and is doing something funky, but again I don't want to risk damaging working hardware with potentially risky tests. Not nice when a $250 motherboard goes "phut" and emits a puff of smoke when you plug the NIC in.
Options
2017-04-14 22:02:26

BradC wrote

Yep. Don't plug them into a PoE switch. This work-around of cutting the earth pin off, or the use of a floating power supply is insane. The problem is with the ASUS board, and unless a song and dance gets made they'll never do anything about it. Unfortunately it's generally only on their "ricer" grade boards with "surge suppression" on the Ethernet port for marketing reasons :

"ROG engineers modernized the design with advanced signal-coupling technology and premium surface-mount components, which, add protection from power spikes and keep the (Gigabit) Ethernet signal cleaner, reducing the chance of errors. These are normally corrected by error checking mechanisms, but this requires CPU time that could be devoted to your game!"

So, basic twaddle saying our custom circuits make your game less laggy because you won't get errors. Marketing fluff that breaks stuff and has no basis in reality. Unfortunately they also put it on a non-ROG board (the X370 Prime), so those of us that are not into bright red boards with flashy buits get to suffer as well.

If my local store was amenable to it, I'd happily plug board after board into my Cisco switch and flood ASUS with RMAs. Unfortunately I don't think that'll win me any favours.

The work around is to buy a non-ASUS board. Again, this is not TP-Links fault.

You are wrong. The problem is both with TP-Link and Asus. This is their official reply to me:

PROBLEM CAUSE: [FONT=times new roman][B][/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]This problem is hardware related but not only the fault of the TL-SG2210P. Simply speaking, it is because the NIC of these Asus late model Motherboards is not line with the IEEE 802.3 safety requirement, and unfortunately, the PSE module in our TL-SG2210P does not meet this requirement as well. When the two devices work together, it causes the short circuit. And since the power adapter of the TL-SG2210P has the overcurrent protection function, it will cut off the power supply of the TL-SG2210P when the short circuit happens, so that the TL-SG2210P will not work until it is disconnected from the Asus Motherboard again.[/FONT]
Options