SG105E : is port Vlans with shared ressources impossible ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-10 22:25:33
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi

I'm studying Vlans for my job ( and have to say the TP-link SG105E is an awesome little piece of hardware :D ).
I'm puzzled about its handling of port-based Vlans

I looked through the SG105E user guide, as well as through all the Smart Switches threads, and I keep on wondering about this :
Is it possible to use port-based Vlans with shared ressources ?

Ex :

PC1 /Switch port 1 / Vlan2
PC2 /Switch port 2 / Vlan3
NAS /Switch port 4 / shared
Uplink /Switch port 5 / shared

??

As it seems impossible to put a port in two simultaneous untagged Vlans, is there any workaround ?
( using several uplink cables ( 1 per Vlan ) is not an option, as it cancels Vlans isolation )

Is this limitation present in all TPlinks switches, even highend, or is it limited to the Smart Switches series ?

One workaround I did find is to go with MTU Vlan, and put the shared resources on an uplink switch. Another is to use 802.1q, which the SG105E handles perfectly
Given this limitation of the port-based Vlan mode, I can't think of any scenario where this port-based Vlan mode would be usefull ...:confused:

While there is a great FAQ about using 802.1q tagged Vlans, the UserGuide really needs a clarification about this issue ;)

Thanks for any help or hint
Options
3 Reply
Re:SG105E : is port Vlans with shared ressources impossible ?
2016-01-13 13:43:47
Port VLAN, you can think it as creating VLAN based on ports. when you create a Port VLAN 10 including port 1,2,3 and Port VLAN 20 including port 4,5, it looks like there are two littlt separate switches.

That is to say, if you want to share some resource among the VLAN, you cannot use port VLAN, you can use 802.1q or other kinds of VLAN.
Options
2016-01-13 15:03:06
mọi người cùng ủng hộ nào
Options
2016-01-13 19:41:15
OK

Thanks for the clarification :D
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 739

Replies: 3