Can't print from iMac to HP LaserJet through TL-SG105 Ethernet switch box

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-13 17:19:34
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I recently installed a TL-SG105 Ethernet Gigabit Desktop Switch box to upgrade my internet connection. It soon began working to provide faster and more reliable data transmission from my Comcast cable connection to my iMac computer (running OS Lion, which I plan to upgrade soon to El Capitan). Also, the Brother all-in-one printer which I connected via Ethernet cable to the TL-SG105 box seemed to adapt automatically to the new setup, and runs fine from my iMac. However, my HP LaserJet 4M Plus printer, which I've also plugged into the TL-SG105 box via Ethernet cable, will not print — although it worked well for years when plugged into my old (10M/100M) Ethernet router. My switch box has four Ethernet cables plugged into it: 1) from my iMac; 2) from my Arris cable modem; 3) from my Brother all-in-one; and 4) from my LaserJet printer. My network is entirely corded, with no wifi.

Since I installed the TL-SG105 switch box, the Network settings in my Mac System Preferences read as follows: "Ethernet Connected. Configure IPv4: Using DHCP. IP Address: 73.70.158… [I'm omitting the last byte for security reasons]. Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0 Router: 73.70.158… [ending in a different byte from the IP Address]." Since my LaserJet would not print, I used its control panel to change its MIO (modular input/output) settings to match those of my Mac Network settings above. I gave my LaserJet a new IP address of 73.70.158…, ending in a different byte from my Network IP address. I then copied my LaserJet IP address into the "Location" box of my Print settings for this LaserJet in my Mac System Preferences. For "DEF. GATEWAY" in my LaserJet's MIO settings, I copied the address of my Router as shown by my Mac Network settings.

After making these adjustments to my LaserJet, I tried pinging from my iMac's Network Utility to the LaserJet, entering the IP address I had assigned to the LaserJet as my "network address to ping." The ping executed successfully a few times. But after each success, when I tried to re-ping to the same address, the ping showed "90% packet loss." And every time I tried to print from my iMac to the LaserJet, the printer failed to respond, printing nothing. I've tried changing the Ethernet cable connecting my LaserJet to the switch box — but the failure to print continues.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can't print from iMac to HP LaserJet through TL-SG105 Ethernet switch box
2016-01-17 17:54:27
I am curious about your IP address 73.70.158.···, it is a public IP address!!! Is your router a NAT devices? If all your devices can get a public IP address, then how many public IP address does the ISP provide you? And may I know your model number of your "router", please make sure it is not a modem!
Options
2016-01-18 18:36:35
I don't have a router connected to my TL-SG105 Ethernet switch box; I thought that this TP-Link device, having smart features, would replace and upgrade my old Ethernet router.

My modem that's connected to the TL-SG105 is an Arris TM822G. I bought it used last May as I was preparing to switch my ISP to Comcast — because the third-party vendor guaranteed it would work with Comcast Xfinity. Amazon customer reviewers had cautioned that, if you order an Arris TM822G new from Amazon, you have no way of knowing in advance if it will work with Comcast.

When my Mac Network (Ethernet) settings list "Router: 73.70.158…", does that refer to my Arris modem? If so, how can I redefine the IP address to take it out of the public domain?

Here's another piece of information from my Mac Network settings that might help you diagnose my problem: "DNS [Domain Name System] Server: 75.75.75.75, 75.75.76.76, 2001:55…"
Options
2016-01-27 13:42:40
TL-SG105 is just a fool switch, like a Hub in some ways. It can not replace or upgrade your old router. I think you may need another router in your network. If you are not familar with it, you can ask some other guys to help you.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 756

Replies: 3