Creating a WiFi Hotspot Outdoors

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-19 10:11:27
I would like to create a WiFi hotspot outdoors on a farm. The router (TP-LINK TL-MR3420) is located at the back of a shed, I would like to run a ethernet cable from the router to an access point on the outside of the shed. Ideally I would like about 50m of wifi coverage (all directions) from the outside access point (if I can get more that would also be great).

I see the CPE210 can be used as an access point but it provides directional coverage? Ideally I would like something that provides 360° coverage.

If anyone can advise on what would be the best equipment to use it would be highly appreciated. Also does anyone know the approx. WiFi range of the CPE210 in access point mode?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Creating a WiFi Hotspot Outdoors
2016-01-19 20:33:20
Personally I don't like omnis, they involve a CPE, and in this case has to be with a 5210 or 7210, those 2 models are close to Legacy, and they don't work 100%
210 is a good idea, and if you check specs. has a very wide Beamwidth, nothing of directional
I would deploy it on the roof of the shed exactly over the red square of your draw that points router. Tilt it about 1 degree facing ground
Delivers signal up to 20 mts on its rear
Options
2016-01-20 04:59:32
Hi, Many thanks for the reply. I guess I will go with a CPE210 then.

The CPE210 has a 70° beam-width according to the manual. Would it be ok to use a longer ethernet cable and place the CPE a longer distance from the router? say 60m? this would allow me to get the coverage I would like using the 70° beam-width, for example:

What can I expect the usable WiFi range to be for the CPE210 in access point mode? would for example a smartphone be likely to get usable signal 100m (line of sight) from the CPE?
File:
hotspot.pngDownload
Options
2016-01-20 05:01:46
Hi, Many thanks for the reply. I guess I will go with a CPE210 then.

The CPE210 has a 70° beam-width according to the manual. Would it be ok to use a longer ethernet cable and place the CPE a longer distance from the router? say 60m? this would allow me to get the coverage I would like using the 70° beam-width, for example:

What can I expect the usable WiFi range to be for the CPE210 in access point mode? would for example a smartphone be likely to get usable signal 100m (line of sight) from the CPE?
Options
2016-01-20 10:34:12
Don't take for granted all you read
60 mts of cable, not a good idea, go for 50 mts tops
Test as I told you before spending unnecessary
My best advice, read manual, check FAQs for configuration, if this is your first CPE it's totally dif. to a router, read all you can to get familiar, I seen many fail, and blame device.
Options
2016-01-20 11:47:36
Scheme you post on #3 is not a good idea. Don't take this.
Focus back to the deployment on #1. TL-WA7210N+TL-ANT2415D seems OK.
But there are factors influence the wireless quality such client number and obstructions. Pay attention.
Options
2016-01-20 21:34:21

stupidbird wrote

Focus back to the deployment on #1. TL-WA7210N+TL-ANT2415D seems OK.
But there are factors influence the wireless quality such client number and obstructions. Pay attention.

@bird the problem with 7210 150Mbps it's not a 24/7 device, 210 300Mbps, is and outperforms 7210, in the case of 5210 54 Mbp, it's a very old device,
Both of those models need a reboot at least every 5 days, ping watch dog does not work well on those two
I wish TL had WBS210 plus Sector antenna, but not on the market yet. only the 5Ghz version is on sale
@th3bloody9 if you want to go with @birds suggestion, buy the 7210, and you will see That will be enough, in case I'm wrong, add the omni,and pigtail, plus LAN (UTP) cable
In case of @birds last comment, you used the word Hotspot on your thread title, but it's a deploy to have wifi on a farm, no obstructions, no high number of clients, I don't see factors to influence wireless quality.
@bird don't forget 7210 has a limit of connected Clients, Elvis left the building when was 8, number is higher today, but I don't think is over 15
Options
2016-01-21 07:53:58
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll probably go with the CPE210 over the 7210 if it's newer tech that is more reliable, I don't like the idea needing to manually reboot every x amount of days.

The WBS210 & OAP210 do look interesting, it's a shame they are not available yet.
Options
2016-01-21 08:12:26

th3bloody9 wrote

.The WBS210 & OAP210 do look interesting, it's a shame they are not available yet.

I have a friend, lives in Peru, South America his name is @Victor Ramos, this next weekend he is buying a 210 cause WBS is not out yet, and he is adding a Sector antenna from Hyperlink, he does lots of mods. 741 he make it POE device, he makes his own CPEs from 2 TL devices, he never has a fail on a TL device cause he mods the energy to it, you can look at one of his mods in this post http://www.ryohnosuke.com/foros/index.php?threads/18158/
to answer your question,
1-ping watch dog works on 210, that would be one
2-Pharos line has software Pharos Control, you can set schedule reboot there, you will need a lap 24/7, its a administration software.
3-to avoid any of the prior two, download a APP called vSSH Lite you write the word reboot then enter 210 that takes 30 seconds, here is the info http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?82342-SSH-command-for-Pharos-Devices-(CPE210-CPE510)-(Tested)
neither of the 3 are need it, but you had your answer.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1128

Replies: 8