AP - will this work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AP - will this work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
AP - will this work?
AP - will this work?
2016-02-17 20:32:29
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
I'm a newbie. We have two bungalows (2000sq ft. each) next to each other and a big garden. Tiled wooden roofs and concrete block walls. Each bungalow has ADSL (2 bills) cost $100-150 monthly. Each bungalow has a wireless/modem/router TD-W8961ND. Wireless connection is reaaly bad. Connectio radius < 10ft with 2 obstructing walls.

What I want to achieve is reduce Telecom costs with 1 adsl connection and 1 router giving wireless coverage for the complete area for a radius of <50m. Connections of all user devices, PC, cellfones, TV ... via wireless.

Genned up a little bit and bought the following gear:
Access Point TL-WA7210N
Antenna TP-Link ANT2415D
50cm pigtail
20m ethernet cable.

The antenna will be mounted at about 5m the AP underneath and 20m cable to the PoE and TD-W8961ND router to the adsl connection.

Questions.
1. Is the topology correct
2. Step 3.5 in quick setup - operation mode - should I choose access point or what ?
3. If I mount the antenna on one of the roofs will there be an area "shadowed" directly below it that has no coverage?
4. Should I install a surge protection
5. How much will a 20m connection from the AP to the router hit throughput. What is an acceptable distance for this connection.
6. Will it work????????????

Any recommendations or gochas welcome.

TIA

K
Options
5 Reply
Re:AP - will this work?
2016-02-19 10:30:54
Wireless connection is reaaly bad. Connectio radius < 10ft with 2 obstructing walls.
Obstructions are Wi-Fi killers. Two walls dampen wireless signal a lot.

For your questions:
1. The topology is correct: internet---TD-W8961ND---PoE Injector---TL-WA7210N
2. Choose operation mode of AP mode.
3. Yes. For antenna there are parameter refer for coverage called horizontal/vertical beam width. Especially you adopt an external Omni-directional antenna the vertical cover angle will reduce to several. Refer to TP-LINK FAQ: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1044.html
4. I don't think it necessary to install one.
5. What do you mean of '20m connection from the AP to the router'? Does you mean wired cable between AP and TD-W8961ND?

What you want is to use a TL-WA7210N+TL-ANT2415D to cover two houses?
For outdoor area with LOS clearance it's OK since the distance is not so far.
However, in your case you want to provide wireless access for indoor devices with the obstructions like walls, I don't think the effect satisfied.
If I were you, I will deploy wired cable to connect two houses, and use 2 indoor wireless routers/APs to cover two houses.
Options
2016-02-20 04:43:18
The setup works outside but not inside! Big shadow in the bungalow with the antenna on the roof and no signal in the other bungalow.

Thinking of discarding the antenna and putting another TL-WA7210N on the roof of the other house and then ethernet to a wireless router to give coverage.

Essentiallty

ADSL - Wireless Router - AP
TL-WA7210N <--------------> AP TL-WA7210N - Wireless Router

Is this a good/bad/unecessary solution?

How are the APs setup as

Repeaters, Bridge or what?

TIA K
Options
2016-02-22 09:06:45
I got it now. What you want is a Hotspot for mobile devices outdoor, right?
In this case, your topology is okay. The configuration is as below:
ADSL-Wireless Router-TL-WA7210N(AP mode)))))wireless connection(((((TL-WA7210N(Client mode)-wireless route/AP
Bridge/Repeater mode is not recommended since the TL-WA7210N uses buil-in directional antenna. Clients in the flank and back side of device get weak signal.
Options
2016-02-23 19:08:07

stupidbird wrote

I got it now. What you want is a Hotspot for mobile devices outdoor, right?
In this case, your topology is okay. The configuration is as below:
ADSL-Wireless Router-TL-WA7210N(AP mode)))))wireless connection(((((TL-WA7210N(Client mode)-wireless route/AP
Bridge/Repeater mode is not recommended since the TL-WA7210N uses buil-in directional antenna. Clients in the flank and back side of device get weak signal.

Thanks SB. What I want to achieve really is that the second house can connect to the network in the first house without running a cable.
Options
2016-02-24 09:03:41
As I post on #4, the connection between house 1 and house 2 is wireless.
I know that you would like your devices in house 1 to connect to network in house 1 directly.
However, just as I've explained to you, this is not recommended and you have better adopt the topology on #4.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 552

Replies: 5

Related Articles