TL-SG3216 v1, VLAN and MAC based VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-04-13 02:00:08
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi Forum Members

At home, I am using a SG3216v1, with the latest firmware and have a few questions around VLAN. I am basically trying to isolate a physical (Ubuntu) PC and a virtual (Windows) guest (on an ESXi5.5) into a separate VLAN with internet access, none of them must have contact to my home network. The physical PC is running Ubuntu, the virtual PC is running Windows, hosted by ESXi5.5, both connected to the switch.
That ESXi hosts my NAS as well in another guest (based on Debian), and several other virtual machines that I need.

I have a couple of other devices (STB, TV, Game Console, my own laptop, 2 WLAN APs, etc.) also connected to the switch (via a smaller 5 port switch).

So, the idea was: put the PC and vPC into one VLAN, and give that VLAN internet connection. Put everything else into another VLAN, giving that internet access as well.

I have thrown a quick drawing onto a piece of paper, it might make it a lot easier to understand, see below :)

Now my questions are:
[*]Can I achieve what I want with this configuration and that switch' functionality? Especially because one of the PCs is virtual and sitting on the ESXi. Do I need to do something on the ESXi (like a vswitch)?
[*]I have played around with VLANs on this switch (working from my work laptop). One thing I noticed is that if I create a VLAN (VLAN ID 10) and put all used ports (1-5) into that VLAN, I will loose connectivity to the switch itself (from that work laptop). Is that expected? I have set the port types to "GENERAL". My understanding is that I need to create 2 VLANs, say 10 and 20:[LIST=1]
[*]VLAN 10 has ports 1, 4 and 5 as members ("GENERAL").
[*]VLAN 20 has ports 1, 2, 3, 4 as members ("GENERAL").
[*]I create a "MAC VLAN" , VLAN ID 10 and enter the MAC address of the vPC to it as member.

[/LIST]Am I thinking in the right direction? Any suggestions / ideas?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-SG3216 v1, VLAN and MAC based VLAN
2016-05-04 11:43:58
For your case, I think the 802.1q is more suitable for you and here is a FAQ that might suit for your case.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 652

Replies: 1

Related Articles