Long Range Wifi Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Long Range Wifi Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Long Range Wifi Setup
Long Range Wifi Setup
2016-08-05 23:14:42
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I writing this post to seek advice on a particular Wi-Fi setup I need to put in place.
I'm participating to the DJI developer Challenge which is focus on autonomous aerial robotics and I'm required to establish a reliable Wi-Fi connection at long range.

The devices I'm trying to connect are the following:
- A Cellphone
- the onboard computer on the quadrotor (tegra k1 with two 5dB omi antenna)
- Ground station (optional but nice to have.

If attache a picture on the setup down below:

The Cellphone will be in a F150 which will be moving along the "Driving route". At it's farthest the cellphone is at about 500m of the Tents were the ground station is situated.
The quadrotor will be mostly in the search area but will eventually meet up with the F150 so the connection between the quadrotor and F150 need to work at long range but also a short range.

We've been studying multiple solution:

-Two Parabolic antennas located at the ground station (tents). One pointing at the quadrotor and one pointing at the cellphone is the F150.
However we dont know if we could get a reliable connect with the cellphone when the F150 will be at the end of the runway (about 500m from the ground station).

- Two omnidirectional antenna, one at the ground station and the other on the F150.
However we are not sure how to make sure we have a good reception when the quadrotor is close to the F150.

This leave us with a few question:
[1] We were looking at the WBS510 as if we understand it correctly we can attach two antenna?
[2] At what range can we expect to connect a Cellphone with a omnidirectional or directional antenna?
[3] Can we attach a 3dB omni antenna and a 12 dB omni antenna to the WBS510?

Additional information:
The quadrotor is remain relatively close to the ground (maximum 8 meters above the ground)

Thanks very much
Options
1 Reply
Re:Long Range Wifi Setup
2016-08-07 20:48:35
Yes you can attach antennas to WBS
but I don't have the answer to my own question.
Does this antennas to attach have to be 5Ghz freq.
cause I had read yes & no, as answer
the answer on #3, by the book, no, in real life, yes
You gonna read a lot of bla bla on this one, but with UBNT Rocket seen it a lot of times
Question, why don't you move your project to 2.4 Ghz. it will be a buffet of choices there.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 582

Replies: 1

Related Articles