QOS by Ports logic: incoming vs. outgoing priorities ??

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-03 07:35:43
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I am using "Port Based QOS" to enforce frame priorities consistently without relying on all packets being pre-tagged properly for 802.1P or DSCP.

Ports QOS config:
- Port #1 Medium: has the gateway router connected to it (on VLAN1 to broadcast to all other ports)
- Port #2-3 Highest: carries the VOIP traffic (VLAN2)
- Port #4-8 Lowest/Normal: carries the mix of general Data (VLAN3)

QUESTIONS: :confused:
I am wondering what is your understanding of the logic behind port QOS: incoming vs. outgoing traffic??
Is port QOS enforced on both Incoming and Outgoing traffic?

TESTING: :rolleyes:
Based on testing so far, it seems like the gateway port#1 that carries all traffic should be *lower* than VOIP port#2-3 (Highest). So port#1 Medium, not Highest
So I am not clear on how this QOS works to configure it right.

Any help appreciated!
Txs.
Options
1 Reply
Re:QOS by Ports logic: incoming vs. outgoing priorities ??
2017-01-03 20:35:30
You didn't specify the switch model. For the answers I assume you have a smart or managed switch.

glasser wrote

I am wondering what is your understanding of the logic behind port QOS: incoming vs. outgoing traffic??
Is port QOS enforced on both Incoming and Outgoing traffic?

Port QOS just defines priority as a property of a port. Ingress traffic can be classified, egress traffic happens as a function of the select scheduling mode for the traffic queues.

Based on testing so far, it seems like the gateway port#1 that carries all traffic should be *lower* than VOIP port#2-3 (Highest). So port#1 Medium, not Highest
So I am not clear on how this QOS works to configure it right.

Port QOS is suitable for prioritizing traffic from a given port, e.g. if in a congestion situation an admin workstation needs higher priority than user's workstations (scheduling mode strictly based on ingress priority) or if in a congestion situation traffic from one department should be weighted more than traffic from another department (scheduling mode based on weighting). In both cases the upstream always needs highest priority to share bandwidth between lower-priority ports.

For VoIP you should use the VLAN-based QOS priority for a dedicated Voice-VLAN. See the user's guide for a smart switch, e.g. the UG for the T-1600G V1 series, page 481 for an example of setting up such a QOS scheme suitable for VoIP.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 533

Replies: 1

Related Articles