CPE210 setting ot maxpower of 27dbm

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

CPE210 setting ot maxpower of 27dbm

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
41 Reply
Re:CPE210 setting ot maxpower of 27dbm
2017-08-09 17:57:13
No, thanks. Region mode is not fixed with my device, but changing TX power is a) illegal and b) overdrives nearby radios by as much as 3,800mW. If other radios are impaired, regulation authorities will do radio measurements to find the cause and in this case such infringements can attract fines from 1,500 Euro up including seizure of your complete WiFi equipment.

And most important: The regulatory authorities are even discussing to force manufacturers to completely close the web UIs for WiFi gear, because of people like you who abuse their devices.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-08-09 20:47:21

Ferrarigogo wrote

Hi,I have the same issue and solved it by opening Test-Mode via SSH . Your CPE210 is an EU version with the maximum transmit power limited as 11dBm according to regulatory region Europe. The region can't be selected but be fixed to Germany. There we go!

1. Login to CPE210 via SSH client such as Putty.
2. Type "testmode" and press Enter.
3. Please wait until you see"Testmode Enable" and then type "reboot" and press Enter.
4. Now you can login to the Web UI of CPE210 and you will see test mode option. With test mode, you will be able to choose 27dBm.
5. For how to disable test mode, simply hard reset CPE210 to factory default.

people like you who abuse their devices.

Very Well Said... Let's not make the radio spectrum a garbage dump

Regards...
Options
come on guys...we need solution...we do with our own risk
2017-08-18 23:37:34

R1D2 wrote

No, thanks. Region mode is not fixed with my device, but changing TX power is a) illegal and b) overdrives nearby radios by as much as 3,800mW. If other radios are impaired, regulation authorities will do radio measurements to find the cause and in this case such infringements can attract fines from 1,500 Euro up including seizure of your complete WiFi equipment.

And most important: The regulatory authorities are even discussing to force manufacturers to completely close the web UIs for WiFi gear, because of people like you who abuse their devices.
:o
Options
2017-08-30 18:43:25
I've just opened a new CPE210 from Amazon in the UK and have successfully turned it up to 27 dBm for testing purposes only. You do indeed need to set the Region to United States, but, as others have mentioned, Region isn't enabled. You have to SSH into the device and enable test mode for the region to appear in the Wireless tab of the web page. Test mode is enabled by typing testmode . You will get a response of Testmode Enable! when it is successfully turned on. Region will then appear under Wireless Settings on the Web console.
Options
Test Mode Ok!
2017-09-14 01:00:33
Thank you. Ferrarigogo.
Options
2017-09-14 11:28:53

vynomic wrote

I've just opened a new CPE210 from Amazon in the UK and have successfully turned it up to 27 dBm for testing purposes only. You do indeed need to set the Region to United States, but, as others have mentioned, Region isn't enabled. You have to SSH into the device and enable test mode for the region to appear in the Wireless tab of the web page. Test mode is enabled by typing testmode . You will get a response of Testmode Enable! when it is successfully turned on. Region will then appear under Wireless Settings on the Web console.

We do at our own risk. Have fun!
Options
2017-09-14 11:30:26

evergreengyi wrote

Thank you. Ferrarigogo.

You are welcome, Enjoy with the CPE!
Options
2017-09-19 16:01:08

R1D2 wrote

Why don't you set the country you are living in CPE210's country menu? It will adopt its maximum TX power to the correct legal maximum EIRP of your country.

inderdaad zou het moeten worden vastgesteld in het land van herkomst die het heeft gecreëerd.
Options
2018-02-28 05:36:12
Hi guys, sorry to ressurrect this thread, but I couldn't find a similar analysis for CPE220, which I believe should be a very similar HW, but with a 12dBi antenna. I could get the 501mW from a CPE210 using the following:

Local: US
Wifi: b/g/n
Bandwidth: 20MHz
Channels 3 to 9

On a CPE 220, the exact same configuration will give me up to 18 dBm (63 mW). Tried 'testmode' without any difference in the result. Oddly, I was able to get the 27dBm (501 mW) only if selecting WiFi technology b/g, so I assumed the limit seems to be on the 'n' technology.

Since I'm on a farm, far away from cities, humans and other RF links, I would question what is the best balance to improve the range of my links (power vs. technology):

1)Is there a reason to limit the power to near 1/10 of the power on N technology?

2) Is there any other path to extract the same power from these HWs?

3) Should I select 'n' technology with lower TXPOWER or 'g' technology with higher power assuming 54MBPS is perfectly fine?
Options
2018-02-28 07:36:08

Kajoo wrote

On a CPE 220, the exact same configuration will give me up to 18 dBm (63 mW). Tried 'testmode' without any difference in the result. Oddly, I was able to get the 27dBm (501 mW) only if selecting WiFi technology b/g, so I assumed the limit seems to be on the 'n' technology.

The CPE210 allows for up to 27dBm TX power, that's 501mW, right. With its 9dBi antenna, this yields 27dBm +9dBi = 36dBm EIRP, which is 3,981mW or roughly 4W.

If the CPE220 allows for 18dBm TX power, this would yield 18dBm + 12dBi = 30dBm EIRP, which is 1,000mW or 1W. If you can set TX power to 27dBm, it will be 39dBm EIRP, which is 7,943mW or nearly 8W (I have no CPE220 at hand to confirm your findings, since it's not available in my country).

According to the specs on the TP-Link website the CPE220 maximum EIRP is 30dBm, but they usually don't consider antenna gain in those figures and the specs on their websites are sometimes not up-to-date regarding actual HW versions of CPEs available on the market. I even found copy&paste errors confusing TX power from CPE510 on CPE210 webpages at a certain TP-Link site (corrected by now, but still might be present on other sites).

1)Is there a reason to limit the power to near 1/10 of the power on N technology?

If it is really so, it's not by technical reasons, but by regulatory conditions, so it solely depends on the regulatory conditions of your country (which are being changed from time to time).

2) Is there any other path to extract the same power from these HWs?

No. TX power is a hardware characteristic of the WiFi chip and antenna gain is a hardware characteristic of the antenna. Changing characteristics would require to replace either the chip or the built-in antenna.

3) Should I select 'n' technology with lower TXPOWER or 'g' technology with higher power assuming 54MBPS is perfectly fine?

Depends on the range of your directional link and the throughput (aka bandwidth) you want to achieve. I prefer n mode over TX power since it enables certain functionality not available in older b/g WiFi standards.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options