CPE210 recovery not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-07 16:54:51
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello, I have a CPE210 with Hw verson 1.1

I hae updated fw with an Openwrt version but I want now to go back to the original one.

I am following the procedure provided by tp-link (there is also a thread here in the forum). The problem I a facing is that the file transfer (after resetting the unit and having openend a TFTP server session is never finishing : it stops randomly at different percentages . After it the CPE reboot but it still have the old (Openwrt) fw. I tried using Win 10 and as well Win 7. I have a switch between the PC and the CPE...

Any suggestion?
thank you
Carlo
Options
17 Reply
Re:CPE210 recovery not working
2017-02-09 16:32:27
any help or suggestion here?
Thank you very much

Carlo
Options
2017-02-09 23:22:53
Only a guess: tftpd32/64 come with a DHCP server enabled by default in last version I saw. Make sure all services except TFTP are disabled in tftpd32/64. Windows firewall settings or even anti-virus programs could also probably cause trouble (as usual on Windows). If possible at all, use a TFTP server on a Linux box instead, it's way more reliable.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-02-17 16:15:05
very strange behaviour...I tried several time using W10 as well as Win 7 and different TFTP applications. Firewall disabled. Switch added between the CPE210 and the PC...

Normally the recovery mode goes to 70% and then the device restart but without completing the restore procedure (because after the restard I still habe the Openwrt LEDE fw starting up). One question: becuase I have the device starting with Openwrt Lede and with LUCI available, is there a possibility to reload the original TP link FW fro this LUCI session/page? I tried but it says the file I am trying to load doesn't contain the right code... (I do not remeber the precise message)

Thank you

Carlo
Options
2017-02-17 22:46:33

beekeeper wrote

is there a possibility to reload the original TP link FW fro this LUCI session/page?

Not that I know of. OpenWRT's sysupgrade used by LuCI uses magic cookies to identify firmware, which might not be present in TP-Link firmware.

But did you read the section about de-bricking the CPE210 at the OpenWRT site carefully?

and I have never been able to recover from Win XP and Win 10, only with Win 7 been successful all the time, without switch

Seems that the 70% probability you observed for successful TFTP boots is caused by Windows or its TFTPD software.

Try to use a Linux Live CD such as Knoppix, Ubuntu or Debian and save yourself much time and trouble. Every Windows user should have such a Live CD or bootable stick for emergency situations. I use Unix and FreeBSD systems for TFTP recovery from OpenWRT to TP-Link firmware and it works flawlessly.
Options
2017-02-18 04:16:19
@beekeeper via TFTP sysupgrade from Index of /chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/ https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/
if you are successful then try going back to stock
Options
2017-02-18 04:23:24

danymarc wrote

@beekeeper via TFTP sysupgrade from Index of /chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/ https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05.1/ar71xx/generic/
if you are successful then try going back to stock

That's useless, because OpenWRT doesn't touch the CPE's boot loader, which implements TFTP recovery.
Options
2017-02-18 06:31:56

R1D2 wrote

That's useless, because OpenWRT doesn't touch the CPE's boot loader, which implements TFTP recovery.

Had a case like this one, and using that method worked out
Don't forget that on networking and other topics
What doesn't work for some, does not mean it won't work for others
On the other hand, what he got to lose by trying
You or someone else mentioned Linux live CD or boot Linux via usb before on this topic, and he doesn't want to try it, or doesn't understand or doesn't want to go that route
Options
2017-02-18 07:37:15

danymarc wrote

What doesn't work for some, does not mean it won't work for others

That's absolutely right. However, as several OpenWRT developers have experienced big troubles with restoring original firmware on CPE using Windows XP and Windows 10, this has been identified as a cause for malfunctioning of tftpd32 already many times. I did write this in my first post above.

Wether you like it or not: Windows is not considered a reliable system. Of course you can try anything to get your Windows box behave correctly in flashing the CPE by trying this or that again and again, maybe it helps. But if you want to concentrate on the problem, namely just flashing a damn CPE, use reliable computer software, especially if others have already found out that Windows 10 does not perform well TFTP'ing a CPE. That's also what the OP claimed.

And by the way: this is the business forum. People posting here should know how to boot a Linux live CD on their PC, it's really no big deal, just one reboot instead of dozens of reboots with Windows to just make it do what it should.

Read the fine manual, that's why we wrote them on the OpenWRT site and elsewhere! https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-cpe210#debricking
Options
2017-02-18 08:36:13

R1D2 wrote

Wether you like it or not: Windows is not considered a reliable system

as you are answering to me, in what post of the Tp_Link forum I posted any about Windows been the greatest.
And by the way: this is the business forum. People posting here should know how to boot a Linux live CD on their PC

I do not agree with you in this one, life is free will, and anyone is free to buy a CPE, the box has no warnings, they are not buying cigarrettes, the box warns you
Read the fine manual, that's why we wrote them on the OpenWRT site and elsewhere! https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-cpe210#debricking

Again as you are answering to me, why do you send me to read, after 973 posts, I haven`t made a question or asked for help to no one, and never will
and why do you link me to the OpenWrt Wiki, I was the one that uploaded the link on Debricking area in OpenWrt Wiki
Options
2017-02-18 08:50:50

danymarc wrote

as you are answering to me, in what post of the Tp_Link forum I posted any about Windows

If you didn't get it, the thread opener has problems with Windows 10, not with the the CPE. It's a known bug that tftpd32 on Windows 10 is broken and tftpd32 is widely known to make several problems at many other occasions.

I won't argue anymore on this with you and it's your free will to not post anything about Windows even if the problem is known to be on the Windows platform. I just gave a hint to the thread opener in hope it is helpful for him since he had the problem with Windows 10.

I do not agree with you in this one, life is free will, and anyone is free to buy a CPE, the box has no warnings, they are not buying cigarrettes, the box warns you

Wrong, there is indeed a warning from TP-Link on the CPE's login page:

Quote:

TERMS OF USE
This TP-Link wireless device must be installed by a certified professional.

End quote.

and why do you link me to the OpenWrt Wiki, I was the one that uploaded the link on Debricking area in OpenWrt Wiki

If you uploaded it, why at all are we discussing that it doesn't work? If it indeed can be made to work, why do you not update the de-bricking section on the OpenWRT site with your tip to install Chaos Calmer, although CC does change absolutely nothing re the bootlader of the CPE and its TFTP recovery?

EOD with you, your tone is too aggressive for my taste.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5874

Replies: 17

Related Articles